Genesis - A Trick Of The Tail CD (album) cover

A TRICK OF THE TAIL

Genesis

dougmcauliffe
5 stars To compliment my Wind and Wuthering review, I'm going to review their other album released in 1976, A Trick of the Tail.

Ahhhh comeback albums, after loosing the charismatic front man of Peter Gabriel, Genesis carried on and released this masterpiece, their final masterpiece. Nearly every song is as good as the last. On top of this, Genesis sounds much more mature and refined on this album perhaps at the cost of some personality. Even if I prefer Gabriel, I cant deny that Collins does a great job taking the lead vocals on this album. My personal favorites here are Ripples, Entangled, Mad Man Moon, Dance on a Volcano and The Title Track. With that said, there is no weak track on this one. I really believe this is far superior to wind. There is very little intensity on wind to the likes that we see with songs like Dance on a Volcano and Los Endos.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Before we get into the songs I'd like to note each members greatest contributions to this album

Tony Banks:

I noted on my wind review that Tony Banks was too dominant on that album. Well he's definitely more dominant than on previous albums but for the better in this case. His sections on Entangled, Mad Man Moon and Ripples might single handedly bring this album into Masterpiece Territory.

Steve Hackett:

Steve Hackett is rarely an in your face guitarist, he knows when to hold back and when to be subtle. His Highlights here are of course Ripples and Entangled on the acoustic guitar. Over on the Electric, his solo on Ripples and subtle guitar work on the title track are beyond excellent.

Mike Rutherford:

He wrote Ripples. So points there right off the bat. Uhhh well Mike plays the bass and does a fine job! Sorry Mike.

Phil Collins:

I cant imagine a world where Ripples isnt sung by Phil Collins. He nails every song on this album and I could only see maybe one or two songs that Gabriel could have potentially done better on. As for drums, I think they're less developed than they were on Foxtrot and Selling England, but they're great as usual.

----------------------------------------------

Dance on a Volcano 9/10

I cant imagine many people still had doubts about carrying on without Gabriel after hearing this song. Towards the end they do a fake fadeout and all come back in all chaotically, yeah thats good stuff.

Entangled 9.5/10

Wow, one of my introductions to prog was this song and Ripples and man this is beautiful. The mellotron soaked ending is what really makes this song.

Squonk 8/10

Great song that I cant help but sing along to. Genesis isn't trying to be blatantly progressive here but there's never a dull moment.

Mad Man Moon 9/10

Amazing song, but Tony Banks's middle section is simply among his greatest contributions to Genesis. However its worth noting the beautiful lyrics and vocal performance on this song as well.

Robbery Assault and Battery 8.5/10

Some consider this a wannabe Gabriel esc song, but I like it for what it is. Catchy verse and Chorus, but the real fun is when the song takes a sharp right turn into proggy synth territory. I feel bad for all the Synths banks probably set on fire while recording that solo.

Ripples 9.5/10

The longest song and the best. I remember listening to this on the bus in maybe 7th grade and wondering why this wasn't considered one of the greatest songs ever like Stairway to Heaven or the likes. We open with just two guitars and Collins vocals, eventually banks joins us on the piano for the chorus and the song evolves into a wonderful play out to close out the song. Just an unbelievable piece, essential prog.

A Trick of the Tail 9/10

Not sure why I love this song so much. Perhaps the fantastic lyrics and bridge. Also, this song is covered with fantastic subtle guitar work by Steve Hackett.

Los Endos 8.5/10

That moment when the Squonk reprise fades in. To put it shortly, when I listen to Los Endos, so do my neighbors.

5 Stars