Wobbler - From Silence To Somewhere CD (album) cover

FROM SILENCE TO SOMEWHERE

Wobbler

dougmcauliffe
5 stars I don't generally write many reviews, but this album is truly special. This album can easily stand tall among past symphonic masterpieces, as well as shadow many.

The album is near flawlessly produced, every instrument can clearly be heard and picked out of the mix.

"From the mould, the mother womb That dark and moist, dark and moist shield of olde To rise up again from the tomb And like the fragile sprout in twilight's gloom"

The album opens with the epic 20 minute title track: From Silence to Somewhere. The song seamlessly flows from movement to movement and feels very cohesive. There's an abundance of great melodies, particularly in the vocals.

To me, the centerpiece of this song is the middle "jam" section starting around the 9:45 mark. It is simply one of the most dark and intense movements of any prog song ive ever heard. Every member is given their time to shine, in the mix is a nasty organ solo and a vicious wah-wah guitar part. There is no dull moment here, every note is just as memorable as the last. (10/10)

Then we have the transitional piano-led instrumental Rendered in Shades of Green. I see it as a nice cool down from the explosive title track.

"Far away In the northernmost region In a dark land of ice and snow The old man dwelled in his tower"

Fermented Hours eclipses, or at the very least matches the intensity of the title track. A heavy, dark organ builds us up to a huge explosion of sound. Again the vocal melodies are very much on point throughout the song. A few minutes in, the song somewhat abruptly comes to a quick transition where a percussive organ takes the lead. In a way I think the abruptness of the transition is what makes it hit so well. There's so many head banging moments throughout. Exemplifying that is the big buildup and jam that closes the song. 10/10 (Two in one album! Very rare)

"Bewildered here, Down at the crossroads. Confronted with the choices, For my epitaph."

Foxlight closes the album with great style, though of the three main tracks it is my "least favorite." Take it with a grain of salt, because some albums don't have a worst song. This one opens with a somewhat mysterious sounding acoustic guitar accompanied by flutes and soft vocals, if you close your eyes you can almost see yourself drifting down a snowy river. This builds up until a harpsichord leads us into another heavy jam that just evolves and evolves. If Fermented Hours is the guitar song, this is the keyboard song.

....Even if the pieces change....

The final 3 minutes of Foxlight is the peak of the album, it is the celebratory bliss that I love so much in this genre of music. (9.5/10)

At the end of the day, this is one of my all time favorite albums. It is played and produced so masterfully, I believe even the most modern prog or retro prog skeptic couldn't even deny this album is great.

10/10