Genesis - Selling England By The Pound CD (album) cover

SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND

Genesis

Sinusoid
5 stars Definitely an album that ought to be one of the first to pop in the mind as THE progressive rock album alongside CLOSE TO THE EDGE and IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING among others. SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND has to be one of the most delicate progressive rock albums I've ever heard as the album is loaded with beautiful acoustic guitar passages and piano interludes. That doesn't mean that there aren't any upbeat moments on the album; in fact, ''The Battle of Epping Forest'' is one of the jumpiest, silliest tunes the band has to offer. Twelve minutes of sheer wit.

My only big concerns with the album are ''More Fool Me'' (a sappy ballad that goes too slow) and believe it or not ''Firth of Fifth'' (some of the solo bits go a little too long for my tastes). However, this is a textbook example of what a great progressive rock album sounds like. Even with the pop hit ''I Know What I Like'', this album is a winner. An undeniable masterpiece.

Sinusoid | 5/5 |