Gojira - From Mars to Sirius CD (album) cover

FROM MARS TO SIRIUS

Gojira

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

UMUR
4 stars From Mars to Sirius is the third full-length studio album by French technical/ progressive metal act Gojira. While I understand that many both fellow reviewers and friends of mine found this album instantly enjoyable itīs actually taken me quite some time to get into. The 66:52 long playing time might have something to do with that because I do feel that itīs a long playing time for music like this. There are 12 songs on the album and at first I felt that it was a couple too many. After repeatedly trying to get through the album Iīve come to understand the charm of the music though and the praise that this album gets almost everywhere. From Mars to Sirius has definitely proven to be worth my many listening sessions and I can say now that I find the album to be an excellent technical/ progressive metal album.

The music is technical and progressive metal/ thrash metal/ death metal with raw and at times growling vocals. Thereīs a touch of melody in the vocals though that brings a good portion of variation into the music. There are lots of very heavy guitar riffing on the album but no soli. The music is not overtly technical but the song structures do come with a few challenges which is something I find exciting. I find that the style of music that Gojira plays has much in common with both the nineties groove thrash movement and bands like Pantera and Machine Head and a death metal act like Morbid Angel ( the opening to In the Wilderness could have been taken directly from GateWays to Annihilation (2000) by Morbid Angel) as they have with contemporary progressive extreme metal acts like Strapping Young Lad, Meshuggah or Textures. The music on From Mars to Sirius is neither groove thrash nor death metal though but there are obvious influences from both genres. In addition to those influences thereīs also a melodic element in the music. The lyrics on the album deserves a mention too. Save the planet/ environmental concern lyrics are not that ususal in music as extreme as this even though itīs of course been done before ( by Napalm Death, Nasum...etc).

My above mentioned problem with the long playing time isnīt a problem anymore. All 12 songs ( two are shorter atmospheric interludes) are of high quality and the presense of all 12 are fully justified. Thereīs not a dull moment on the album. Really heavy and intense progressive extreme metal. I have my favorites on the album like Backbone, Where Dragons Fall ( I just love the tribal-like drum outro) and To Sirius but it keeps changing which songs I prefer which is another sign that From Mars to Sirius is a really strong album.

The musicianship is excellent. The music is skillfully played and the compositions flow nicely.

The production is powerful. Really heavy yet clean.

I have to mention the absolutely beautiful cover artwork here as well. one of the most original metal cover artworks in recent years. I like the sci-fi flying whale picture. Just fantastic IMO.

From Mars to Sirius has slowly but surely won me over. Itīs not that itīs a hard album to get into though. Itīs actually quite accessible for the genre. But I guess my high expectations after reading some very praiseful reviews werenīt exactly met right away which was a disappointment to me. So I would like to say to those who still havenīt found the charm in this album that repeated listening really revealed the progressive nature of Gojiraīs music to me. Music that at first listen might seem a bit simple for the genre. All in all From Mars to Sirius is a very enjoyable album and a 4 star rating is deserved. This might be a very good place to start if youīre new to progressive extreme metal.

UMUR | 4/5 |