Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination - Edgar Allan Poe CD (album) cover

TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION - EDGAR ALLAN POE

Alan Parsons Project

ZowieZiggy
3 stars I am not a fan reader (except of some French classic writers) so I know nothing of E.A. Poe. But this should not be a problem while listening to this type of music.

The music, the arrangements, the fine flow is speaking for itself. This is an fine concept album of which there are still some mistakes to be recalled like the heavy and little appealing ''Tell-Tale Heart''.

I first listened to this album at a friend's place back then (salut Patrick); but I had already read some rave reviews about this release. To be honest, when I first discovered it, I couldn't really match the comments with the music. And it is the feeling that I will translate into words in this review.

To me, it sounds more as a musical (''The Cask of Amontillado''). It is of course all well crafted and produced (Alan was the engineer behind DSOTM) but I can't be as laudatory as most of the reviewers in terms of brilliance of this album.

To be more honest, in those days I had no clue that Alan had anything to do with the superb DSOTM. And this wasn't my concern at all. I was just heading for great music. Period. And I am closer to Tom Ozric's views than of lots of other reviewers about this work.

The long prelude of the epic is too much orchestra-oriented IMO. And I have never liked this. Neither in '76 nor in '09, so?Of course the Floydian ''Arrival'' is one of the highlight (but it lasts less than three minutes).

Some Oldfield feel can be interpreted during the beautiful ''Pavane''. These are magical moments but too scarce overall.

There is a whole lack of humanity in this work. It was attempted to be too perfect . IMO it hasn't passed well the proof of time. Three stars.

ZowieZiggy | 3/5 |