Camel - Moonmadness CD (album) cover

MOONMADNESS

Camel

Blacksword
4 stars Camels best in my opinion. The album opens with 'Aristilus' which chugs along in a Mike Oldfield fashion before 'Song within a song' sets the mood for the album. Melodic and moody in places. Latimers performance is superb especially on 'Chord Change' and 'Lunar Sea' Two instrumentals which, for me, represent all that is good about Camel. They were always at their best when performing without vocals. Latimers vocals are not brilliant but they in no way ruin the songs on 'Moonmadness' 'Spirit of the water' is a beautiful bridge track, taking us into 'Another night' a single. The 7' version is also on the CD. The song has a memorable riff, which some may say would have benefitted from more 'beefy' production, but then, I guess it wouldn't be Camel.

Camel knew how to rock, and were at their best on 'Moonmadness' but they always 'rocked' in a controlled way, with clean, crisply produced music which allowed the complexity and sensitivity of all the bands input to be clearly evident to the listerner.

A relaxing, melodic and thoughtful prog rock album. Highly reccomended!

Blacksword | 4/5 |