Marillion - Brave CD (album) cover

BRAVE

Marillion

SouthSideoftheSky
Symphonic Team
4 stars They made it again!

This conceptual album is so very emotional, moving and simply touching and one that has grown on me to become one of my favourite Marillion albums of all time. It is not the masterpiece that Seasons End is for me, but it is certainly much better than the disappointing Holidays In Eden. Indeed, Brave proved that Holidays In Eden was just a momentary lapse and not the end of band's greatness. Musically, Brave has very little to do with the Fish-era of the band, and as such it is a brave attempt of the band to expand their sound and adopt for a new time. I would say that this album is both backward-looking and forward-looking in the sense that they gathered their influences both from the 60's, 70's and 90's this time and they are no longer stuck in the sounds of the 80's. Brave does have a more contemporary sound than previous Marillion albums, but there are still plenty of the aspects that makes Prog into Prog and that made Marillion into a great band in the first place. It might not satisfy all of the fans of the old Marillion, but it sure satisfies me, and it seems, countless others. This is indeed an excellent piece of modern progressive Rock full of passion and meaning.

Both vocally, lyrically and instrumentally every single note and every single word is put forward in a way that makes the listener believe that they really mean it - and they do, of course! There are great guitar and keyboard work throughout and the vocals are full of emotion. Several of the songs sound like classics already on the very first listen which is a sure mark of a great band.

After Seasons End, Brave is one of Hogarth-era Marillion's very best albums (and in my personal opinion, both of these albums outshine anything from the Fish-era!)

Highly recommended!