Zed - You Are Here CD (album) cover

3 stars Another nice debut album that have come into my possession this release from US band Zed.

On this album we're treated to a very 70's tinged form of fusion - although in this case I'd say that jazzrock is a much more descriptive term for the musical contents, with an emphasis on the first half of the expression.

Instrumental and improvisational, with the sax as the key instrument, we're treated to slick and smooth songs with soloing, jazzy guitar licks and drums, wandering melodic bass lines and basically pretty much what you'd want to get from an instrumental jazzrock band looking back towards the 70's with their feet firmly planted in jazz territories.

A few musical surprises are thrown in though, the most inspired of these are at least one instance of shredding when the guitar is allowed to shine in one of the tunes.

Fans of jazzrock, fusion and liberal minded jazz fans have one to check out here.

Windhawk | 3/5 |