Marillion - Misplaced Childhood CD (album) cover

MISPLACED CHILDHOOD

Marillion

R-A-N-M-A
5 stars Yes, another 5 star rating. Yes, what a filthy little uneducated drone I am. Yes, I am talking to myself. Yes, I come with two settings: disinterest or unquestionned love, but doesn't Misplaced Childhood deserve that love? I bought Misplaced Childhood together with Script for a Jester's tear about a year ago. I have heard many good things about Script for a Jester's Tear, but I can't find the time for it. Every time I get in the mood to listen Marillion I go running for Childhood. Like so many an excellent album, I didn't really get it at first. Damn, once I got there I was sucked in. Fish is the one who makes it. The band is talented (1980s keyboards done right!), but Fish just tosses them around with his commanding vocals.

The way the album is written is superb both lyrically and thematically (If some on who only managed a B- in english can get away with saying that). It sets off down an intriguing and dark road in Psuedo Silk Kimono, then slows down (and lags a bit) during Kayleigh and Lavinder, but the momentum begins to build over the rest of the album and carries it into the impassioned Blind Curve finally lets loose into Childhood's End. For me Childhood's End is this album's highest point. You can litterally feel the clouds breaking apart. With that said, Misplaced Childhood is a suite and it is best when listened to as a whole.

If the rest what Marillion has to offer is half as good as Misplaced Childhood, I'm sold.

R-A-N-M-A | 5/5 |