Riverside - Anno Domini High Definition CD (album) cover

ANNO DOMINI HIGH DEFINITION

Riverside

UMUR
3 stars Anno Domini High Definition is the fourth full-length studio album by Polish progressive rock/ metal act Riverside. The album was released in Poland on the 15th of June 2009 by Mystic Production. The European release was on the 3rd of July 2009 while the North American release date will be on the 14th of July 2009 ( in two days). The cover artwork was done by Travis Smith. The album contains five songs and has a playing time of 44:44 minutes. Thereīs a special edition available with a bonus DVD containing a part of the concert recorded in Paradiso club (Amsterdam) in December 2008 during the Reality Dream Tour.

The music on Anno Domini High Definition continues the progressive rock/ metal style with keyboards that Riverside has played on their previous three studio albums Out of Myself (2003), Second Life Syndrome (2005) and Rapid Eye Movement (2007). Thereīs an emphasis on the metal side of the bandīs sound on this album though and the softer progressive rock sections are fewer compared to the earlier releases. Anno Domini High Definition is generally a pretty heavy album. Donīt expect any surprises though this is still unmistakably Riverside. There are lots of instrumental parts in the songs but Mariusz Dudaīs pleasant and warm voice still graces the music.

The production and the musicianship are of high quality.

Riverside have gone in the complete opposite direction of what I hoped for with Anno Domini High Definition and allthough the album is a high quality product and a great listening experience I have to be honest and say that Iīm just slightly disappointed that there are not more atmospheric progressive rock parts on it. I always felt that Riversideīs strength were in their softer progressive rock side and not in their progressive metal side and with this release my point is proven ( at least to myself). I really miss those soft emotional moments and because of this I canīt give more than a 3.5 star rating. I like metal but some bands are just better when they play rock.

UMUR | 3/5 |