Alas - Alas  CD (album) cover

ALAS

Alas

Mellotron Storm
3 stars ALAS were from Argentina and this is their debut from 1976. We get two side long tracks of mostly instrumental music. I was surprised (as I went to write this review) to see that they're listed under Jazz / Fusion. I must be losing it (haha). So lets call it a blend of Symphonic and Jazz then.

"Buenos Aires Solo Es Piedra" is led by drums, bass and keyboards early and the drumming is great. A sudden calm before 3 minutes then soft Spanish vocals join in. An almost dead silence 6 minutes in as faint sounds come and go. It's building then the earlier melody returns after 8 minutes. It settles again as these contrasts continue. Not much flow here.Trumpet before 11 1/2 minutes. Keyboards and drums lead 14 minutes in to the end.

"La Muerte Conto El Dinero" opens with vocals and a pastoral soundscape. Vocals stop then the tempo picks up after 1 1/2 minutes. It kicks in before 3 minutes with vocals then it stops and starts for a while before staying uptempo. This is good. It stops before 9 1/2 minutes then reserved vocals come in followed by a mellow sound. Birds are chirping but it doesn't sound real. Flute joins in, then the wind starts blowing. A drum solo before 15 minutes takes over, then they all kick in for the last 2 minutes.

Good album for sure but it doesn't capture my Prog heart.

Mellotron Storm | 3/5 |