ALAS

Alas

Alas Alas  album cover

Buy ALAS Music
Studio Album, released in 1976

1. Buenos Aires Solo es Piedra (15:48)
a) Tango
b) Sueño
c) Recuerdo
d) Trompetango
e) Tanguito
f) Soldó
2. La Muerte Contó el Dinero (17:36)
a) Vidala
b) Smog
c) Galope
d) Mal-ambo
e) Vidala Again
f) Amanecer - Tormenta
g) Final
3. Aire [bonus track] (4:35)

4. Rincon, Mi Viejo Rincon*

*Track 4 is only available on reissues after and including the 1997 reissue.

Search ALAS Alas lyrics

Search ALAS Alas tabs

- Gustavo Moretto / keyboards, synthesizers, flute, trumpet, vocals
- Alex Zucker / bass, guitar
- Carlos Riganti / drums, percussion

and to NotAProghead for the last updates

ALAS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ALAS Alas Music

Absolute PurityAbsolute Purity
Martyr Music Group 2001
AlasAlas
EMI Argentina 1997
JARSE - Alas - 7" US $10.07 Buy It Now 7h 16m
BOGS VISIONARY ORCHESTRA - ALAS ALAS ALAS! THE BIRTH OF HIERONYMUS BOGS NEW CD US $18.38 Buy It Now 11h 14m
ALAS absolute purity Cassette - RUSSIA US $6.90 Buy It Now 12h 39m
Alas negras - Bella morte US $11.00 Buy It Now 15h 42m
Laura Marling- Alas I Cannot Swim - CDV3040 US $11.94 Buy It Now 16h 13m
Laura Marling : Alas I Cannot Swim CD (2008) US $6.94 Buy It Now 1 day
Mexicana 50 - Las Alas De Oro LP Gatefold Mexico CMA 50-1 US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Nurse With Wound-Alas The Madonna Does Not Function United Dairies 12" 1988 NWW US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Alas - Absolute Purity (United States) (CD, Apr-2005, Martyr Records) US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Prisma -con Las Alas Rotas US $1.95 [0 bids]
TRANSMETAL Las Alas Del Emperador CD US $14.97 Buy It Now 1 day
ROCIO JURADO Como Las Alas Al Viento CD NEW duo Jose Luis Rodriguez ANA GABRIEL US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Preciado, Julio Y Su Banda Perla Del Pac Quisiera Tener Alas CD US $9.75 Buy It Now 1 day
ALAS - ALAS [ALAS] - NEW CD US $8.19 Buy It Now 1 day
Bandango "Alas Del Viento" US $60.00 [0 bids]
Los yonic's no me cortes las alas US $12.00 [0 bids]
LAURA MARLING Alas I Cannot Swim CD US $13.04 Buy It Now 2 days
LAS LOVERS - SWEET & SWEAT - Japan CD J-POP - 10Tracks ALAS US $13.99 Buy It Now 2 days
LAS LOVERS - SWEET & SWEAT - Japan CD - NEW J-POP ALAS US $17.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ALAS Absolute Purity Gatefold LP VINYL BRAND NEW & UNPLAYED Shop Stock + Poster US $10.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Kemialliset Ystavat *Alas Rattoisaa Virtaa - Dekorder LP* Nurse With Wound Coil US $19.99 [0 bids]
Laura Marling - Alas I Cannot Swim 180 Gram Vinyl LP US $42.21 Buy It Now 2 days
Celtic Twilight, Vol. 1, Various Artists, John Doan, Alas, Good Import US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
EL ULTIMO KE CIERRE QUEMASTE TUS ALAS SEALED CD NEW US $5.20 Buy It Now 2 days
MYSTERY JETS alas agnes UK 7" 45 US $2.00 [0 bids]
We Don't Fear Your God- Dantesco, SIGNED, Narval, Aura Azul, Nimrod, Alas Negros US $16.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Current 93 Presents Alas! Aryan Aquarians Durtro CD 1997 NWW Nurse with Wound US $27.99 Buy It Now 2 days
LAURA MARLING Alas, I Cannot Swim SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER CD 002 US $5.67 Buy It Now 2 days
LAURA MARLING Alas, I Cannot Swim SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER CD 002 US $8.10 Buy It Now 2 days
LAURA MARLING Alas, I Cannot Swim SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER CD 002 US $24.35 Buy It Now 2 days
ALAS DE PAZ ~ Me Has Dado Victoria CD ~ 2012 ~ 13 Songs US $2.99 [0 bids]
En las alas del amor - Julissa - CD musica cristiana US $13.99 Buy It Now 3 days
v/a DESMO PRESENTS ALAS 3x LP NEW VINYL Trio De Cajon Mark Farina Stimming Bustl US $39.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Alas! The World Smith And Jones UK tour programme TOUR PROGRAMME 1985 US $15.35 Buy It Now 3 days
Alas Agnes Mystery Jets 7" vinyl single record UK 679L115 679 RECORDINGS 2005 US $17.77 Buy It Now 3 days
SHIN SASAKUBO-SEMILLA DE ALAS-JAPAN CD F56 US $27.50 Buy It Now 3 days
KAIVOSURMA porttiteoria 7" 6 track with insert eteenpain b/w alas, draw blank, l US $8.10 Buy It Now 3 days
PRISMA Emociones CD exitos como CON LAS ALAS ROTAS Tomalo SE ME CANZO EL CORAZON US $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
The Ford Congregation: By George, It's George / Alas, Poor Yorick 45 US $3.60 Buy It Now 3 days
LP- CARLOS ALAS DEL CASINO "POR LOS CAMPOS DE CUBA " ON MAYPE REC. US $15.00 Buy It Now 3 days
MIGUEL MATEOS MEXICAN PROMO 45 SI TUVIERAMOS ALAS 1991 ROCK EN TU IDIOMA US $4.99 [0 bids]
Laura Marling - Alas I Cannot Swim - U.S. cd - RARE! Digipak US $6.95 Buy It Now 3 days
LAURA MARLING - ALAS I CANNOT SWIM NEW CD US $18.72 Buy It Now 3 days
CD: Laura Marling - Alas I Cannot Swim US $0.99 [0 bids]
LAURA MARLING**ALAS I CANNOT SWIM**CD US $14.85 Buy It Now 3 days
LAURA MARLING - ALAS I CANNOT SWIM NEW CD US $15.86 Buy It Now 4 days
Laura Marling : Alas I Cannot Swim CD (2008) US $7.45 Buy It Now 4 days
BLAZQUEZ ELADIA-CON LAS ALAS DEL ALMA CD NEW US $14.60 Buy It Now 4 days
MYSTERY JETS Eel Pie Bootleg 7" 3 Track Featuring Alas Agnes Live, Ras Tamadeus US $8.10 Buy It Now 4 days
CHEAP CDS Laura Marling "Alas I Cannot Swim" CD US $7.84 Buy It Now 4 days
PAAVOHARJU - JOKO SINA TULET TANNE ALAS TAI MINA NOUSEN SINNE - SVR236CD US $19.49 Buy It Now 4 days
Laura Marling - Alas I Cannot Swim - 2008 DEBUT - CD IN NEAR EX CON US $8.10 [0 bids]
Laura Marling - Alas I Cannot Swim [CD New] US $12.53 Buy It Now 4 days
Orlando Lopez & Mazacote & Orquesta - En Alas Del Recuerdo Salsa Y Guaguanco LP US $9.99 [0 bids]
Alas by Idaho (CD, Oct-1998, Buzz Records (Jazz Label) (Holland)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Los Angeles Azules CD NEW Alas Al Mundo Album 12 Exitos Coleccion ! US $5.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Paavoharju - Joko Sina Tulet Tanne Alas Tai Mina Nousen Sinne (NEW CD) US $22.32 Buy It Now 5 days
Laura Marling - Alas I Cannot Swim (NEW CD) US $10.95 Buy It Now 5 days
LEON GIECO Y OTROS - MUNDO ALAS EL DISCO - NEW CD US $9.18 Buy It Now 5 days
ALAS Absolute Purity CD PROMO & PROMO ADVERT 2001 (buy 4--- GET 5 !!) US $14.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Eros Ramazzotti - Alas Y Raices (Spanish Version) [CD New] US $8.96 Buy It Now 5 days
Paavoharju - Joko Sina Tulet Tanne Alas Tai Mina Nousen Sinne [CD New] US $23.57 Buy It Now 5 days
ALDEMARO ROMERO EN ALAS DEL ROMANCE ESTRELLITA DEL SUR ARGENTINA LP US $20.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Bogs Visionary Orchestra - Alas Alas Alas! The Birth Of Hieronymus Bogs [CD New] US $13.26 Buy It Now 5 days
CRESSWELL:VOICE INSIDE ALAS HOW SWIFT BY NEW ZEALAND SYMPHONY (CD) US $16.24 Buy It Now 5 days
Marling Laura - Alas I Cannot Swim CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Alas Negras - Slasher Show CD Pop Rock US $20.65 Buy It Now 6 days
Alas, Idaho, Good US $4.48 Buy It Now 6 days
Laura Marling - Alas I Cannot Swim LP NEW 180 gram uk folk gatefold US $32.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Ivan Lins Abre Alas CD - French Pressing - EX US $6.98 [0 bids]
Laura Marling - Alas I Cannot Swim CD BRAND NEW US $9.99 Buy It Now 6 days
ALAS ABSOLUTE PURITY 2001 VINYL LP ALBUM RECORD HAMMERHEART HHR069 NETHERLANDS US $19.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Eros Ramazzotti - Alas Y Raices (Spanish Version) CD US $13.59 Buy It Now 7 days
ELADIA BL ZQUEZ - CON LAS ALAS DEL ALMA - NEW CD US $9.32 Buy It Now 7 days
Prisma Con Las Alas Rotas By 2en1 Factory Sealed Cd Peerless US $10.55 Buy It Now 7 days
Alas! the Horse Is Gone-manx Music/traditional Tun - Walker,Carol New US $27.94 Buy It Now 7 days
Laura Marling - Alas I Cannot Swim 12 tracks - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $8.97 Buy It Now 8 days
EROS RAMAZZOTTI - ALAS Y RAICES [886975232420] - NEW CD US $9.28 Buy It Now 8 days
FELIPE RODRIGUEZ & GUITARRAS ALAS ROTAS ANGEL CAIDO 78 RPM US $6.99 [0 bids]
Con Las Alas Rotas By PRISMA 20 Tracks Factory Sealed Cd Peerless US $10.21 Buy It Now 8 days
Laura Marling - Alas I Cannot Swim CD US $16.20 Buy It Now 8 days
Alas Smith & Sharkey - Oh No! - Truth US $2.27 [0 bids]
Alas - Absolute Purity CD - Near Mint US $15.69 Buy It Now 8 days
EROS RAMAZZOTTI Alas Y Raices CD 2009 Italian Pop US $4.99 Buy It Now 8 days
ALAS NEGRAS - SLASHER SHOW NEW CD US $23.37 Buy It Now 8 days
Laura Marling ALAS I CANNOT SWIM 12trk cd US $6.48 [0 bids]
LAURA MARLING - ALAS I CANNOT SWIM [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $12.94 Buy It Now 8 days
LAURA MARLING ALAS I CANNOT SWIM (LIMITED EDITION CD SONG BOX SET) MINT US $16.23 [1 bids]
Alas y Raices - Ramazzotti, Eros CD Sealed ! New ! 2009 US $7.08 Buy It Now 8 days
Transmetal Las Alas del Emperador US $14.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Alas Y Raices - Eros Ramazzotti New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $13.26 Buy It Now 9 days
BANDANGO ALAS DEL VIENTO 1991 SONY DISCOS USA EX 45 US $12.95 Buy It Now 9 days
Alas Alas Alas! the Birth of Hieronymus Bogs - Bogs Visionary Orchestra New US $20.48 Buy It Now 9 days
L. Cresswell - Voice Inside: Alas! How Swift: Kaea CD US $13.28 Buy It Now 10 days
L. Cresswell - Voice Inside: Alas! How Swift: Kaea [CD New] US $8.00 Buy It Now 10 days
Music of the Gwich'in Indians of Alas - V/A New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipp US $24.91 Buy It Now 10 days
Laura Marling Alas I Cannot Swim Taiwan CD w/OBI US $34.68 Buy It Now 10 days
ALAS Absolute Purity (ORG 2001 Hammerheart) anathema my dying bride hate eternal US $6.99 Buy It Now 10 days
MYSTERY JETS alas agnes CD 2 track b/w the last bench (679l115cd) uk 679 2005 US $8.10 Buy It Now 10 days
Alas I Cannot Swim [PA] by Laura Marling (CD, Jul-2008, Virgin) US $13.95 Buy It Now 10 days

More places to buy ALAS music online Buy ALAS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ALAS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ALAS Alas ratings distribution

ALAS Alas reviews

Review by Cesar Inca
5 stars Alas was one of the most amazing prog bands from Argentina, not only in the technical aspect (all three members were proficient performers) but also in the creative aspect - their style is based on a highly rich amalgam of jazz fusion a-la Return to Forever/Weather report, ELP-tinged prog pomposity, tango-based textures and academic flavours, all of them cohesively gathered in a powerful, original sound. Alas was, in many ways, a world of its own in their country's prog arena, yet their sound portrayed a distinct peculiarity that could only be emanated from the very heart of Buenos Aires' Creole folklore. Their debut album's repertoire consisted of two sidelong suites, both of them bearing a notable predominance of instrumental input. The first one, 'Buenos Aires es Solo Piedra', is the jazziest. The first and antepenultimate motifs sort of operate as the main centers of the whole sequence, providing an air of exuberant mystery for it. The 'Sueño' section is the only sung one, very ethereal indeed: the ethereal stuff is perpetuated in the immediate section, which turns to explore minimalistic places with its musique concrete-inspired tricks. There is another soft section before the arrival of the last one - 'Tanguito' brings some pleasant tango airs, like a dreamy sound that meanders in an unknown place of the listener's subconscious mind. The second suite is the most bombastic, meaning it is the most akin to progressive rock parameters. 'La Muerte Contó el Dinero' is a showcase for ELP's influence on Alas' style, but of course, Moretto's vision combined with the threesome's particular drive keeps them well away from any cloning temptation. The first section is a sung intro based on a delicate electric piano motif augmented by subtle touches of lead guitar and drum kit's cymbals. The lines are really powerful, as if predicting some sociopolitical disaster (which, sadly, came to be around the middle of that year 1976). Check this: "The sky crack up in crusts of lime / Pieces of the high seas cover the tombs / They sow animal birth pains / Children cry their wintertime hunger" - wow!, I understand Spanish and I can't stop my heart from shivering every time my ears listen to these lyrics in the 'Vidala' section. The three following sections determine the suite's nuclear motifs, and that is when things get electrifyingly ELP-ish, indeed: yet, like I said before, never getting to rip-off land. The organ and the synth paint amazing flourishes and leads all the way, while the rhythm section keeps an inventive pace in a most robust manner. After the first sung section is reprised in 'Vidala Again', a series of eerie sounds emanated from the synth, bass and percussive implements arrives like the birth of something new that gets in the landscape and spreads around. The sound of a storm announces a drum solo: what's the point of a drum solo after such an ethereal passage? Well, this drum solo serves as an anticipation of the final outburst, which is the resumed reprise of sections b, c & f: 'Final' brings an air of conclusive splendour to this suite, in this way providing a coherent closure. The bonus track comes from a single the band originally released the year before this album. While being less demanding, it is very neat, indeed, offering a candorous sample of jazzy 'joie de vivre'. If only it hadn't been placed after 'La Muerte.' - it somehow kills its climax. Well, if you program your CD player by locating the bonus between the two suites, the experience will be more rewarding. But even if you don't, Alas' debut album is so good that it can only motivate an excellent emotional experience in the listener's soul: "Alas" is a master opus that any decent prog collector should have.

Send comments to Cesar Inca (BETA) | Report this review (#52717) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 21, 2005

Review by erik neuteboom
4 stars Great to notice that the Argentine trio Alas has been added to this site, I just discovered this after reading Cesar his excellent review. I own a 2-CD compilation in the Grandes Exitos serie featuring the two long tracks from this first album, my review is based on that (I don't know the bonustrack). Most of those two compositions are fluent and dynamic, often with a strong jazzrock/fusion undertone. I also trace echoes from ELP (Hammond and Moog) and Yes (Hammond organ and Rickenbacker bass sound). And during some soli on the Moog synthesizer the music from USA band Lift comes to my mind, very spectacular! But don't make the conclusion that Alas doesn't make original prog after mentioning these references! The Fender Rhodes electric piano has an important role within the progrock sound from Alas, both in the more swinging parts as in the more mellow pieces, along with melancholical vocals. The special elements from Alas are the experiments with sound effects and instruments like the trumpet and the bandoneon (the South-American accordeon, known from the tango), blended with organ or string-ensemble, very unique. A good example of Alas their distinctive sound is the second, jazzy inspired track featuring virtuosic interplay between the acoustic guitar, piano and flute, followed by soli on bass, flute and Fender Rhodes piano. If you like jazzrock, ELP, Yes and the 'vintage keyboard sound' and you are up to more adventurous and experimental ideas, this is a band to discover!

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#52725) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 22, 2005

Review by memowakeman
4 stars Amazing debut!

This time in my will to support South American music, i am reviewing the albums of an extraordinary 70´s band from Argentina called Alas, sadly they only released a couple of albums in the second half of the 70´s, but it is great to know that both albums were released with the musicians at their best, so as you can imagine the quality of the album, musically talking is excellent.

Alas was a trio composed by Gustavo Moretto playing keyboards, wind instruments and also vocals, Alex Zucker on bass and guitars, and Carlos Riganti on percussion, all of them are excellent musicians, very talented and we can notice it while listening to their music. In 1976 they released their self-titled album and probably better known, they choose among their music, only 4 songs in this debut album but each one full of creativity and mind- blowing moments, honestly Alas became quickly in one of my favorite bands from Argentina, and believe me that that country has been very prolific in the progressive rock movement. probably their music is obscure and not as known as they wish, but little by little more people is being aware of those magnific bands.

"Buenos Aires solo es piedra" is the first song of this album and probably one of my favorite songs of the band, it is a 15-minute epic which blends all the necessary to be called a superb song, excellent musicianship, magnific changes throughout the song, and a big creativity, this song reminds me to both ELP in the bombastic moments, and Return to Forever in the Jazz Fusion and fast moments, also let me tell you that somewhere in the song we can listen to the vocals of Moretto and a calm part of the song where trumpet appears with a delicate sound, this song is divided in 6 mini pieces.

"La Muerte conto el dinero" is the longest song of them all, at first we can listen to the part with vocals, sung in Spanish of course, but reminding me a bit to the Italian school. Then again the ELP-inspired music appears, superb keyboard playing and awesome drumming, again, this song was divided in mini pieces or parts whatever you want to call it, and this is the song when the ELP influence is strongly shown, nevertheless Alas doesn´t lose their particular sound and their orientation to tjhe jazz fusion music. There is a part which is beautiful, very soft and calm, an exquisite flute sound, along with some birds singing and also the sound of the air, making a charming moment in this long song, then a drums solo and then it returns to the bombastic music.

"Rincon , mi viejo rincon" and "Aire" are the bonus tracks, both songs make 10 minutes of extra music, being the first one the shortest of them and probably the worst without being bad, and Aire probably the jazziest one, great bass lines and some excellent arrangements, nice bonus tracks.

I really like this album and it´s music, so i highly recommend it to you, have a listen to Alas, 4 stars!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#123098) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Review by crimson87
4 stars Alas was one of those bands from my country that released a couple of LP's and then disbanded. It's a pity since they had pretty original ideas and were outstanding musicians. Their music is really complex ( specially taking into account that they were a three men group) blending lots of genres. The original release of this debut album included two long compositions , but in the remaster released in 2007 by EMI there were a couple of singles included which I shall review as well.

The first track is called Buenos Aires solo es piedra and as soon as it starts there can be heard some Chick Corea infuence in Alas' music. After this fast introduction , really calm vocals appear over an almost unhearable layer of Rhodes piano , pretty much like RTF first record (specially the track Crystal silence). This section also reminds me of some of the jazziest Canterbury acts like National Health , Gilgamesh or Hatfield's first album. Right after this part finishes we can hear Moretto's moog reminding me of ELP but without being bombastic at all. At 11:30 minutes there comes a little part with some trumpet by Moretto and some percussion by Carlos Riganti ( bells and maracas to be more specific). The song keeps on changing moode sometimes reworking on some of the themes that already were developed.

La muerte conto el dinero opens with vocals in the same mood as the previous song. Then it develops into a ELP ish section up to the fourth minute , the interplay between the musicians is top notch. some parts are remiscent of the Baba Yaga section on Pictures of an Exhibition. At 9:30 minutes Moretto sings again a brief part and some bird whistle like becomes prominent above a really spacey section. After this , a brief drum solo starts , this section is a little inconsistent for my tastes. Luckily this soon fades away and we face another fast section before the song comes to an end.

Aire is the first of the two bonus tracks and while is not long it's quite interesting.Basically , it sounds like The Rotters club meets Trilogy .Includes layers of keyboards , some pretty fast drumming and cheery vocals. The last song is Rincon , mi viejo Rincon and it's the worst of the bunch. Really a depressing tune and it's ending it's somewhat ankward.

Overall , this album is really interesting for those looking for a band with incredible musicianship. It may please the fans of the bands named above as well. I wouldn's say it's essential , but definitely worth checking out.

Send comments to crimson87 (BETA) | Report this review (#201598) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 04, 2009

3 stars ALAS were from Argentina and this is their debut from 1976. We get two side long tracks of mostly instrumental music. I was surprised (as I went to write this review) to see that they're listed under Jazz / Fusion. I must be losing it (haha). So lets call it a blend of Symphonic and Jazz then.

"Buenos Aires Solo Es Piedra" is led by drums, bass and keyboards early and the drumming is great. A sudden calm before 3 minutes then soft Spanish vocals join in. An almost dead silence 6 minutes in as faint sounds come and go. It's building then the earlier melody returns after 8 minutes. It settles again as these contrasts continue. Not much flow here.Trumpet before 11 1/2 minutes. Keyboards and drums lead 14 minutes in to the end.

"La Muerte Conto El Dinero" opens with vocals and a pastoral soundscape. Vocals stop then the tempo picks up after 1 1/2 minutes. It kicks in before 3 minutes with vocals then it stops and starts for a while before staying uptempo. This is good. It stops before 9 1/2 minutes then reserved vocals come in followed by a mellow sound. Birds are chirping but it doesn't sound real. Flute joins in, then the wind starts blowing. A drum solo before 15 minutes takes over, then they all kick in for the last 2 minutes.

Good album for sure but it doesn't capture my Prog heart.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#227646) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 20, 2009

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
3 stars I know this record for some time, as I've had difficult relationship with it. Love/Hate to be correct. Let's call it jazz psychedelia (derived from word psycho, translated as "crazy"). For example end of second track. For example. All most of this record too. As long as I like this little bit experimental, add improvisation-like jamming and give it flavour of symphonic side, it's sometimes hard to understand, almost impossible to like. Last two tracks provides this much needed balance between our desire to explore new realms, but also back us up with homeland, well known structures, so we're not lost in hazy jungle of hydra-beast prog finding of ourselves. Or something like that.

3(+), but this was clear since first seconds of first track. It's good that they're treating us with original sounds, but sometimes, it's too much and they're pushing limits too far. Sometimes I think that four minus would be more fair.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#261255) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 17, 2010

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars This Buenos Aires keyboard trio made two albums at the height of Argentina's first prog boom in the late 70's. Formed and lead by multi-instrumentalist (KB, winds and violin) and singer Gustavo Moretto, with drummer Riganti, they later hooked up with bassist Zuker and recorded and released their self-titled debut in the fall of 76, on the major EMI label. They had only released single the previous year prior to that. The album came with a very bland A artwork, and the group was under the influence of Luis 'D'Artagnan' Sarmiento.

Two side-long epics (one aside) make the spine of the present album, the first of which bearing the strange name of Buenos Aires Solo Es Piedra - under which the album is sometimes referred to. Consisting of six movements, the almost 16-mins piece moves from demented ELP-like antics (the opening Tango movement) to gentler Spanish-sung pastures (Sueno) to the more experimental and slightly dissonant (the Recuerdo movement). Despite the many tango references in the suite's subsection's titles, the general feel is not nearly as Argentinean as it might let you think: indeed, if Trompetango features Moretto's trumpet, there is nothing typically tango-esque, at least not the typical dance music. And if the following Tanguito bears a jazzier and crazier feel, like ELP or Le Orme could've done it a few years before them; fear not, because we're definitely not in the usual gaucho clich's.

The 17-mins+ 7-movement suite Muerte Conto El Dinero filling the flipside opens directly with vocals, thus reminding often of Le Orme or other Italian bands (Argentina is over half of Italian descent). The piece moves in many different moods, including a pastoral flute and just after, a passage through a wind battlefield (the Galope movement) and many more. Itend to prefer the flipside.

Only really available in the 2on1 Archivos collection, the first album is followed by the two bonus tracks of the single that was released the previous year. As such this debut album s quite a remarkable first oeuvre, one of the country's earlier masterpiece, and it stands out a bit by not being too symphonic, unlike many of their crosstown rivals (Mia, Crucis, etc'). In some ways they are maybe a tad more reminiscent of El Reloj

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#971300) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 05, 2013

3 stars ELP reinvented? I give it to the band that they do make a credible effort in re-doing and somewhat rearranging what ELP were famous for in their early years. The Hammond delivers notes that we've all heard before, albeit it comes across as if these passages were drawn randomly from a hat. ... (read more)

Report this review (#946288) | Posted by BORA | Friday, April 19, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is an excellent album! I was tempted to give it 5 stars ..... The music is jazzy with keyboards echoing Keith Emerson..... Portions of this album you think you are listening to ELP....and sometimes it reminds you of the Canterbury Scene.....maybe Hatfield & the North?? If you are l ... (read more)

Report this review (#163979) | Posted by digdug | Saturday, March 15, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Alas was (and is?) two-record-prog-rock-band from Argentina. This effort is their first from 1976 and there is two side-long composition-suites. I have got LP-version and therefore I haven't heard this shorter bonus from CD-version. But this LP is with gatefold sleeve with painting of Carlos J ... (read more)

Report this review (#62353) | Posted by Rainer Rein | Friday, December 30, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ALAS "Alas "