David Gilmour - David Gilmour CD (album) cover

DAVID GILMOUR

David Gilmour

Sinusoid
3 stars Don't expect much more than bluesy rock because that's what David Gilmour's first solo album has in abundance. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it's a bad thing; in fact, I'm quite fond of the solo excursion.

I really feel the Pink Floyd connection here, as many of the songs could fit very easily on a Floyd album with help from Rick Wright's distinctive keyboard work and Roger Waters's lyrical content. And even though I'm at most vaguely familiar with 90's Pink Floyd, I feel that ''Raise My Rent'' sounds like Pink Floyd of the future.

My two favourite things are ''There's No Way Out of Here'' and ''Cry Out From the Street'', but there's plenty of other strong songs like ''Raise My Rent'', ''Mihalis'' and ''Short and Sweet''. Maybe not the most ideal for progsters, but definitely the Pink Floyd/David Gilmour fanatics and even the hard rock crowd. A slight lack of complexity is deciding factor in my three star rating.

Sinusoid | 3/5 |