Dw. Dunphy - Enigmatic CD (album) cover

Dw. Dunphy

3 stars This seventh (I think) venture from US musician and composer Dw. Dunphy is a very interesting one.

The main negative aspect of this production is the lo-fi approach used - the overall production leaves a lot to be desired in places; the drums in particular are aren't the best in quality in terms of sound as well as performance, and the album is generally marred by a cardbox sound overall.

Get past those issues and a wonderful collection of tunes reveals themselves though. Apart from the opening track; which I couldn't make heads or tails of; we're treated to some beautiful creations looking to Beatles and ELO for overall sound, with added symphonic qualities courtesy of the synths. For contemporary artists in the same vein Jeremy Morris is a good reference.

Later on compositions with a more sacral sound appears as well, and the achingly beautiful and familiar sounding yet unplacable Pine Box is the highlight of this venture as far as I'm concerned. As with these other tracks in the second half of this album it retains the symphonic qualities but liberates itself from aforementioned influences, and in my ears comes across as creations with a strong touch of a unique overall sound.

Windhawk | 3/5 |