Pink Floyd - Ummagumma CD (album) cover

UMMAGUMMA

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

UMUR
3 stars Ummmagumma is the fourth full-length studio( live) album by UK psychadelic/ progressive rock act Pink Floyd. The original release was a double LP. The first LP contained 4 songs recorded live and the second LP featured original studio compositions by the band. Or more correctly each band member contributed with their own songs. The 1995 CD re-release is a double CD set with extented versions of some of the studio tracks.

The 4 songs on the live part of Ummmagumma is definitely worth the purchase IMO which canīt always be said about the studio counterpart. Of the studio songs I only find Roger Watersīs Grantchester Meadows and the three part David Gilmour penned suite Narrow Way to be acceptable contributions while the rest is more or less expendable to my ears. The live versions of Astronomy Domine, Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun and the two ultimate psychadelic trips Careful With That Axe, Eugene and Saucerful of Secrets are all of high quality. Great sound and excellent trippy playing. I have to be in the mood but when I am itīs such a great live recording.

Iīm a bit biased when it comes to Ummmagumma. Itīs definitely not my favorite Pink Floyd album but those live songs really save the day so I guess a 3 star rating is deserved.

UMUR | 3/5 |