Primus - Frizzle Fry CD (album) cover

4 stars Ssssszzzzzzztttt.

Is it just me or does the album cover art here make it look like the guys were doing a little too much LDS back in the day? Primus is a band that I'm not entirely sure I would have gone for back in 1989. Then again I had lightened up from my zombie prog pod person phase and was listening to stuff like Laurie Anderson's Strange Angels, Tim Fin's first solo album, Sarah McLachlan's Solace, and XTC's Oranges & Lemons along with a lot of stuff officially prog around these parts.

I'm going to have to take a little issue with this album being merely prog related. Maybe it's just a little too funky, I don't know. At a time when many of the older guys were fizzling or going commercial, this trio belted out some excellent tunes, though not your father's prog. The band was undeniably influenced by some of the great names in prog. The musicianship is top notch. The music is heavy, complex, and more than a tad bit weird.

Slartibartfast | 4/5 |