FRIZZLE FRY

Primus Frizzle Fry album cover

rock music collection

Buy PRIMUS Music
Studio Album, released in 1990

1. To Defy the Laws of Tradition (6:42)
2. Ground Hog's Day (4:58)
3. Too Many Puppies (3:57)
4. Mr. Knowitall (3:51)
5. Frizzle Fry (6:04)
6. John the Fisherman (3:37)
7. You Can't Kill Michael Malloy (0:25)
8. The Toys Go Winding Down (4:35)
9. Pudding Time (4:08)
10. Sathington Willoughby (0:24)
11. Spegetti Western (5:43)
12. Harold of the Rocks (6:17)
13. To Defy (0:36)

Todd Huth / guitar
Larry LaLonde / acoustic guitar, guitar
Matthew Wingar / toy piano

CD Prawn Song

Thanks to Retrovertigo for the addition

PRIMUS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PRIMUS Frizzle Fry Music

Frizzle Fry by Primus [Music CD]Frizzle Fry by Primus [Music CD]
Caroline
Frizzle Fry by Primus (Cassette, Prawn Song) USD $4.99 [0 bids]
PRIMUS FRIZZLE FRY DIGIPAK NO SCRATCHES USD $5.00 [0 bids]
Primus - Frizzle Fry CS Fugazi Beastie Boys Lard Dinosaur Jr. Mudhoney Nirvana USD $4.50 Buy It Now 1 day
PRIMUS 4-cassette lot - SUCK ON THIS, FRIZZLE FRY - Les Claypool Rush Fishbone USD $11.99 [1 bids]
PRIMUS - Frizzle Fry ~ VINYL LP GERMAN PRESS USD $32.64 Buy It Now 1 day
Frizzle Fry - Primus (2004, CD New) USD $11.91 Buy It Now 3 days
Primus Lot of 3 1" pins buttons Punk Les Claypool Melvins pork soda frizzle fry USD $2.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Frizzle Fry Primus vinyl LP album record UK CARLP10 CAROLINE 1990 USD $52.79 Buy It Now 4 days
Frizzle Fry - Primus (2009, Vinyl New) USD $19.42 Buy It Now 4 days
Primus - Frizzle Fry [CD New] USD $11.68 Buy It Now 4 days
Primus - Frizzle Fry [Vinyl New] USD $18.98 Buy It Now 4 days
PRIMUS - FRIZZLE FRY NEW VINYL USD $25.19 Buy It Now 4 days
PRIMUS Frizzle Fry VINYL LP RECORD Brand New! USD $19.98 Buy It Now 5 days
PRIMUS "Frizzle Fry" LP 2009 Prawn Song vinyl album (Les Claypool) New Sealed USD $23.00 Buy It Now 5 days
PRIMUS FRIZZLE FRY 12" Vinyl LP RECORD ALBUM LES CLAYPOOL EXCELLENT CONDITION USD $29.99 Buy It Now 5 days
CD Primus - Frizzle Fry RARE METAL / CAROLINE RECORDS 1990 ORG USD $24.99 Buy It Now 5 days
primus frizzle fry 1990 caroline records cassette USD $11.95 Buy It Now 5 days
Primus - Frizzle Fry Vinyl Record LP USD $24.59 Buy It Now 5 days
Frizzle Fry by Primus (CD, Jun-1997, Caroline Distribution) USD $19.99 Buy It Now 8 days
PRIMUS**FRIZZLE FRY**VINYL USD $16.64 Buy It Now 8 days
Primus FRIZZLE FRY Debut Album 180g REMASTERED New Sealed Vinyl Record LP USD $22.99 Buy It Now 9 days
FRIZZLE FRY BY PRIMUS (CD) USD $21.37 Buy It Now 10 days
Frizzle Fry [Remaster] by Primus (CD, Jun-2004, Prawn Song) USD $8.51 Buy It Now 10 days
Frizzle Fry by Primus (CD, Jun-1997, Caroline Distribution) USD $7.95 Buy It Now 13 days
PRIMUS ***FRIZZLE FRY ***BRAND NEW LP VINYL!! USD $22.88 Buy It Now 13 days
PRIMUS**FRIZZLE FRY (REMASTERED)**CD USD $15.18 Buy It Now 13 days
Primus - Frizzle Fry (2009) - New - Long Play Record USD $16.01 Buy It Now 14 days
PRIMUS Music Sticker FRIZZLE FRY USD $4.04 Buy It Now 15 days
Primus - Frizzle Fry (Remastered) (2004) - New - Compact Disc USD $9.59 Buy It Now 17 days
PRIMUS FRIZZLE FRY LP 1990 (PLEASE READ BELOW) USD $29.53 Buy It Now 17 days
PRIMUS - Frizzle Fry:T-shirt - NEW - MEDIUM ONLY USD $24.31 Buy It Now 18 days
PRIMUS "Frizzle Fry" (CD, 2004 Prawn Song) USD $10.60 Buy It Now 19 days
Primus - Frizzle Fry - Tape USD $10.00 Buy It Now 20 days
PRIMUS - FRIZZLE FRY - CASSETTE TAPE - CAROLINE (1990) USD $17.09 Buy It Now 21 days
Primus-Frizzle Fry CD NEW USD $15.48 Buy It Now 21 days
Primus - Frizzle Fry (1990) - Used - Compact Disc USD $3.90 Buy It Now 21 days
PRIMUS - FRIZZLE FRY [REMASTER] - NEW CD USD $9.56 Buy It Now 23 days
Primus - Frizzle Fry (Remastered) (2002) - Used - Compact Disc USD $6.16 Buy It Now 23 days
Primus Frizzle Fry NEW & SEALED vinyl LP USD $22.99 Buy It Now 24 days
PRIMUS FRIZZLE FRY LES CLAYPOOL FUNK GRUNGE CAROLINE UK ORIGINAL 210898 CARL LP USD $99.99 Buy It Now 25 days
Primus Frizzle Fry LP Vinyl Remastered Reissue BRAND NEW SEALED USD $24.00 Buy It Now 25 days
PRIMUS - FRIZZLE FRY (BONUS) (TRACKS) NEW CD USD $16.07 Buy It Now 26 days
PRIMUS Frizzle Fry LP SEALED USD $19.72 Buy It Now 26 days
Primus Frizzle Fry Cassette Tape 1990 Caroline CAROL MC 1619 Les Claypool Debut USD $7.19 Buy It Now 26 days
PRIMUS - Frizzle Fry (CD 1990) USD $9.99 Buy It Now 26 days
Frizzle Fry - Primus New & Sealed LP Free Shipping USD $26.07 Buy It Now 27 days
Frizzle Fry - Primus New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping USD $18.84 Buy It Now 28 days
PRIMUS 'Frizzle Fry' Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED USD $28.36 Buy It Now 29 days
Frizzle Fry, Primus, New Extra tracks USD $13.00 Buy It Now 29 days
Primus - Frizzle Fry CD USD $15.69 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy PRIMUS music online Buy PRIMUS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PRIMUS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PRIMUS Frizzle Fry ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(42%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(32%)

PRIMUS Frizzle Fry reviews

Review by GoldenSpiral
4 stars A true classic, but certainly not for every prog fan. This is arguably Primus' most influential work (close with Seas of Cheese), and it is heavily laden with elements of RUSH, KING CRIMSON, and the RESIDENTS. The album is dominated by intricate and highly technical musicianship, particularly Les's bass and Tim Alexander's intense drumming style. The songs are fun and lovably absurd, yet even songs with seemingly silly titles and lyrics can deal with heavy topics (for instance "Too Many Puppies" is a scathing anti-war song, presumably aimed at the Gulf War). Each track is strong in its own uniqe way, from simple, bass-and-drum heavy songs like "Too Many Puppies", "John the Fisherman", and "Spagetti Western", to much more intricate and almost psychadelic songs such as "Groundhog Day" and the title track. The album also has a couple of weirdo interludes such as "You Can't Kill Michael Malloy" and "Sathington Willoghby", which are certainly weird enough to compliment the rest of the album, but not long enough to be annoying. The funky track "Harold of the Rocks" is certainly a treat to behold. Bottom line, listen to Frizzle Fry if you like 80's and latter-day King Crimson, pretty much any Rush, if you enjoy the absurdity of the Residents and Mr. Bungle, or even if you enjoy amazing bass guitar work, intense drums, and interesting guitar techniques.

Send comments to GoldenSpiral (BETA) | Report this review (#42010) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 08, 2005

Review by Cygnus X-2
4 stars After the solid live debut in Suck on This, Primus released their debut studio effort in Frizzle Fry in 1990 on Caroline records (they would make the jump to Interscope before making their next album, which would be considered their best). But let me say this before you read further or consider Primus as your next purchase, this group is definitely not for everyone. If you aren't into heavily bass oriented rock that strays into many different territories than this album won't change your opinion as the bass is really the centerpiece of the album. Also, if you like serious introspective lyrics and vocals you won't find that here either, the approach is closer to Zappa vocally than anything else (which I know doesn't always sit well with people who like serious music). That said, I think of all the early Primus albums Frizzle Fry is the best, as it has them at their most creative and their most willing to try new things. But I'm not the judge of what you like, I'm only writing this to inform you on how I feel about it and hope that it helps you.

Anyway, the album opens with a brief segment from the introduction of Rush's YYZ before going head first into To Defy The Laws of Tradition, which is a nice riff based hard rock song with some nice shrill Fripp-esque chords from LeLonde and a steady and complicated bass line from Claypool as well as a great drum beat from Alexander. Groundhog's Day has a nice laidback bass line from Claypool and some fluid leads from LeLonde comprising of the main motif. Nothing really else besides that, which takes up most of the song anyway. Too Many Puppies is probably the heaviest song on the album, and it's a pretty solid piece that doesn't stray into uncharted territory but it has a nice enough riff with a great anti-war message beneath it all. Solid playing on all players parts here. Mr. Knowitall has a great drum performance from Alexander but after that it pretty much is a standard affair with some okay lyrics and some fun yet predictable bass/guitar playing. Frizzle Fry is one of the best pieces on the album mainly because of the spectacular bass playing by Claypool and a nice ethereal guitar part on LeLonde. The bass interludes are also great because of the overall feel it conveys, as well as it just sounds plain awesome.

John the Fisherman was the single from the album, and though it has a similar overall progression and feel to the opener of the album To Defy the Laws of Tradition (despite a cool introduction with some great distorted bass), it's a harmless piece of fun mainly about being a fisherman in the San Francisco Bay Area (where Primus hails from). You Can't Kill Michael Malloy is a little interlude that isn't even actually by Primus, but was written by Matthew Winegar. It's a bit of an odd piece that doesn't really have a place on this album, but it's short and it's harmless, so it doesn't really bother me that much. The Toys Go Winding Down has a frenetic and fast paced bass riff from Claypool (after a somewhat joyous intro) and some great drumming and guitar work from Alexander and LeLonde. This is actually one of the best and most engaging pieces on the album and one of my favorites, as well. Pudding Time has some simplistic chord based guitar themes and a frantic rhythmic section (although the guitars do get a bit hectic as well with the leads and the sawing high pitched chords). It's not my favorite piece on the album, nor was it my favorite piece when it premiered on Suck on This.

Sathington Willoughby is a character name that would appear on many Primus albums in different variations (Sathington Waltz on Sailing the Seas of Cheese and The Return of Sathington Willoughby on The Brown Album). It's a short vocal led piece that acts as more of an interlude to Spegetti Western than anything else. Spegetti Western begins with a technical and precision drum beat from Alexander (who makes good use of the kit throughout the album) and some spacey feedback from LeLonde before Claypool's vocals come in before a great slap bassed bass line comes in with some wild Frippian guitar ideas in the background (LeLonde seems influenced by Andy Summers, Robert Fripp, and Frank Zappa from what I can gather in his overall sound). It's a great song and the next piece is equally as great. Harold of the Rocks is a burst of energy with some refreshing wah tones and some strong drumming/bass interplay between Claypool and Alexander before some great instrumental interludes (especially a bluesy one towards the end that really is a spot for LeLonde to show his definite soloing style and his abilities). To Defy is essentially a short reiteration of the opening theme and it ends the album much like it began, giving the whole thing a continuous feel.

In the end, this is probably my favorite Primus studio album. Granted, it's not perfect and it doesn't really have a lot that can be called progressive, but there are moments when you really can hear some great creativity and some incredibly technical musicianship shine through. If I were to recommend one Primus album to you it would be this one mainly because most of this album is very strong (there's some ok material that I'm not wowed by but that's few and far between). Primus definitely isn't for everyone, but if you want to give them a shot, I'd say get this album or Sailing the Seas of Cheese (their next studio effort). 4.5/5.

Send comments to Cygnus X-2 (BETA) | Report this review (#85715) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 04, 2006

Review by russellk
3 stars Ah, PRIMUS. Have to admit, I would never have expected to see them here. I see PRIMUS as a cross between funk and southern blues/rock. Their off-beat humour and ability to transcend genres seems to have earned them a 'prog-related' listing here. Delightful fun, arguably a waste of LES CLAYPOOL's prodigious talent (the man could be anything he wanted), and worth a listen.

The music is founded on deep bass funk: LES CLAYPOOL is perhaps the leading bass exponent in popular music today. More, he's not afraid to experiment. The result is music that is fast, fun, dirty and uneven. Lyrics are caustic and either cryptic or political, and are sung in a voice that is definitely an acquired taste, an exaggerated southern drawl that is more than occasionally flat. In my view this just adds to the charm, but some listeners will simply cringe.

'Frizzle Fry' is a good starting place to judge whether this band has anything of interest for you. It's their debut, though all members had been professional musicians for some time. The music is muddy by design, and certainly sounds nothing like traditional prog! The relatively short, funky numbers would suit those who enjoy bands like TALKING HEADS and PETER GABRIEL. Highlights of this album include 'John the Fisherman' and 'Harold of the Rocks', but the record is uneven and I doubt many people will find every song to their liking.

Send comments to russellk (BETA) | Report this review (#160614) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 02, 2008

Review by UMUR
3 stars Frizzle Fry is the debut studio album from American experimental funk/ metal/ rock act Primus. Primus released a live album called Suck on This in 1989, but Frizzle Fry is their official studio debut. Primus is one of those bands that falls under the catagory Aquired Taste. Either people love them or people hate them. I´m a freak case though as I´m caught in the middle. I have always respected Primus for their outstanding musicianship, but on the other hand never really enjoyed their music much. I have to say that this is a rough generalization as I do enjoy some of their songs.

The music on Frizzle Fry is funky rock/ metal which is dominated by Les Claypool´s slap and tab bass lines and Tim Herb Alexander´s excellent drumming. The dissonant guitar lines from Larry LaLonde ( Former member of thrash metal legends Possessed)was never my cup of tea, but they are a great part of Primus sound too. Les Claypool has a very distinct almost spoken vocal style which can be compared to both David Byrne ( Talking Heads) and Adrian Belew ( Frank Zappa, King Crimson). The songs are generally pretty basic in structure and it´s more the innovative interplay between the musicians that´s progressive than the actual songs IMO.

The album starts in grand fashion and I´m left wondering why I don´t like this band more than I do. The first six songs are actually pretty good. Songs like Too Many Puppies and the title track are very good songs IMO. The problem with Frizzle Fry is that the quality drops after song number six John the Fisherman. Or maybe it´s not the quality that drops. Maybe the songs just seem too similar and the style just gets generic after a while? The conclusion is that I get bored about half way through the album.

The musicianship is as I mentioned above outstanding. Both Les Claypool and Tim Herb Alexander are distinct and excellent musicians. It´s a real treat to listen to their many innovative ideas. I´m sure that if you can enjoy the dissonant guitar style from Larry LaLonde you´ll feel the same way about him. There´s nothing wrong with his technical skills that´s for sure.

The production is excellent. It´s loud and metallic.

Frizzle Fry is not an album I listen to very often. In fact it was very dusty when I took it down from my shelf to make this review. I do enjoy some features on the album even though this is not my favorite type of music. One of those features is the outstanding musicianship, but I also enjoy the weird humour that always surrounded everything Primus did. This is high quality music and even though I´m not a fan I´ll rate it 3 stars. I just wish I could sail in a sea of cheese with John the Fisherman.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#187325) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Review by MovingPictures07
4 stars WARNING: If you're looking for traditional or safe prog, don't buy this and then complain about how it doesn't sound like Genesis.

If you are a bassist or someone who loves bass/rhythm work, there's no question. Get this album. Even if you don't like the style, you'll appreciate the musicianship. Les Claypool heavily re-defined the idea of a bassist on this album, and that alone makes it worth 4 or more stars.

1. To Defy the Laws of Tradition- From the Rush tribute opening fading out to a catchy, funky, and repetitive Claypool bass line, and then to a screeching guitar and funky drums... this is one hell of a song. This has to be one of my favorite Primus songs and really shows what they're all about. Claypool's vocals are good for what they're worth as well, though he's definitely an acquired taste. To defy the law of tradition is the CRUSADE ONLY OF THE BRAAAAAVE!! Awesome stuff. 10/10

2. Groundhog's Day- Another good track here with typical epic, funky Claypool bass line and drums really moving the song along. The feel to this one is extremely neat, and the bursting segment at the end of the song is genius. 9/10

3. Too Many Puppies- Great cymbal intro, really good song. TOO MANY PUUUUUUUPPIES! If you're not annoyed by Claypool's occasional vocals by now, then it's probably a good sign. I personally love them, but I know some people who don't really care for them. Primus wouldn't be the same without it. This one has more of a straightforward, metal feel to it. 8/10

4. Mr. Knowitall- From the vocal intro, this song then shows more awesome Primus rock. I absolutely love the line where Claypool is like They call me Mr. Knowitall, I am so eloquent; perfection is my middle name... and whatever rhymes with eloquent! and it further showcases the humorous aspect to Primus. Fantastic playing as usual. 9/10

5. Frizzle Fry- What else can be said? Perfect bass lines, rhythm genius, and a great song structure. Also some hilarious vocals by Claypool once again. This one is a bit of a slower one though, but that definitely doesn't make it any less awesome. May be my favorite on here. 10/10

6. John the Fisherman- This is the song that got me interested in Primus. It's really more geared for radio play, but that doesn't make it any less of a good song. WHEN I GROW UP, I WANT TO BE ONE OF THE HARVESTERS OF THE SEA! Great bass work and I really like the erratic guitar. 9/10

7. You Can't Kill Michael Milloy- Hard to rate. Interesting interlude. 7/10

8. The Toys Go Winding Down- Great song and the bass line is quite interesting. For some reason though, this song doesn't quite enthrall me like the previous ones. Nonetheless, it's really hard to find fault with this. 7/10

9. Pudding Time- What time is it? 'sPuddingtime! So says Claypool anyway. Another awesome song. I really like the drum and guitar work especially on this one after the intro; that part is epic. 6/10

10. Sathington Willoby- Similar to Michael Milloy. Great interlude, but very hard to rate because it's less than 30 seconds. 7/10

11. Spegetti Western- GREAT drumming here. I really like the way that this song builds. This track has a very manic feel to it with the guitar, which fits the Primus sound quite well. Headbanging track! 10/10

12. Harold of the Rocks- Cool, funky feel to this one. The musicianship is again excellent. Apparently it's about a guy named Harold. The different effects that Claypool pulls with his bass here are interesting. 9/10

13. To Defy- Awesome way to end the album with a reprise of the first song except demented. 8/10

Seriously, if you have an open mind and particularly are a bassist, I have trouble NOT recommending this to you. It is not fully essential for every prog collection (because not every progger would like it and it's not straight up prog), but it definitely is an excellent addition to any prog music collection.

Great album!

Send comments to MovingPictures07 (BETA) | Report this review (#190569) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Review by Slartibartfast
4 stars Ssssszzzzzzztttt.

Is it just me or does the album cover art here make it look like the guys were doing a little too much LDS back in the day? Primus is a band that I'm not entirely sure I would have gone for back in 1989. Then again I had lightened up from my zombie prog pod person phase and was listening to stuff like Laurie Anderson's Strange Angels, Tim Fin's first solo album, Sarah McLachlan's Solace, and XTC's Oranges & Lemons along with a lot of stuff officially prog around these parts.

I'm going to have to take a little issue with this album being merely prog related. Maybe it's just a little too funky, I don't know. At a time when many of the older guys were fizzling or going commercial, this trio belted out some excellent tunes, though not your father's prog. The band was undeniably influenced by some of the great names in prog. The musicianship is top notch. The music is heavy, complex, and more than a tad bit weird.

Send comments to Slartibartfast (BETA) | Report this review (#228837) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 28, 2009

3 stars This was PRIMUS' debut from 1990 and what an entrance they made. Les Claypool's in your face bass and that funky rhythm was different all right. Add those humerous lyrics and unique vocals and they were a success. I really thought of RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS a lot when listening to this. Now i'm not a fan of that band so it's not necessarily a good thing, but man it's hard not to enjoy this catchy stuff.

"To Defy The Laws Of Tradition" opens with several seconds of "YYZ" before this funky rhythm eventually takes over. Vocals 1 1/2 minutes in. You gotta like the guitar before 4 minutes. "Ground Hog's Day" is laid back although the bass is prominant. It kicks in and these contrasts continue. The final minute is really powerful. "Too Many Puppies" is so catchy and funky. "Mr. Knowitall" features some prominant guitar but the rhythm still dominates. "Frizzle Fry" is a powerful mid paced tune. Huge bass in this one.

"John The Fisherman" is a highlight. "You Can't Kill Michael Malloy" is a short violin / piano piece. "The Toys Go Winding Down" turns heavy quickly. Vocals a minute in. "Pudding Time" opens with some fat bass as guitar and drums join in quickly. "Sathington Willoughby" is a short vocal and drum piece. "Spagetti Western" opens with drums before the guitar makes some noise. Bass and vocals join in. This one rocks ! "Harold Of The Rocks" is funny lyrically. Funky stuff. "To Defy" is a short but amazing tune.

I can't give the fourth star on this one. I'd love to see these guys live, it would be a riot.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#282007) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 14, 2010

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Original, sparkling, humorous, catchy and firing on all cylinders ... Primus took the cross-over scene by storm back in the 90's. It all revolves around Les Claypool, band leader, eccentric vocalist and virtuoso bass player.

The music can't really be compared to much else. The bass-heavy songwriting with fast and furious funky slapping is well known from Red Hot Chili Peppers but Primus makes more dramatic compositions. Tracks like Frizzle Fry are frantic and adventurous, driven by raging bass guitar and pounding drums. The punk fury at the end even reminds me of NoMeansNo. Primus reached quite an audience back in the days and they sure have had an influence on Rage Against The Machine. At least, that's what I conclude from tracks like John The Fisherman.

Contrary to mentioned bands, Primus has something proggy, it's hard to lay a finger on but I guess it could be due to the quirkiness of the music, the weird time-signatures or the imaginative playfulness of it. Either that or it's just because of the short YYZ quote at the start of the album. I try to be a well behaved and docile PA member but it really doesn't sit well with me to have this band in prog related. This is at least Crossover Prog.

Even with the basic sounds of unpolished bass, drums and a bit of guitar, Primus manages to keep the album very interesting and versatile. The rhythms and songs are very dynamic and the number of ways that Claypool invents to assault his bass guitar is sheer endless. Still, by the time Spegetti Western comes along, we're a good 40 minutes into the album and I've kind of got the message. It's a minor complaint but the album would have been stronger had it been 10 minutes shorter.

For some reason Frizzle Fry hasn't been a regular feature in my CD-player, but it was a pleasant reunion when spinning it a couple of times for this review. Made me feel like 19 again! 4 stars.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#282631) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Review by Sagichim
COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
5 stars This is the introduction to the world of Primus. Listed under many genres Primus managed to find a way to slip into the archives as well. I think prog related is a fine spot for them since this album or band would appeal to a lot of prog fans, since they feature a high standard of musicianship and such a cool mixture of syles, incorporating a lot of awesome off beat time signature interludes. There aren't so many bands that brought such a fresh, fierce in-your-face sound at their very begining, I was pretty blown away the first time I heard this back in 1992, and I'm still lovin' it 20 years later. The trio of Les Claypool, Larry Lalonde and Tim Alexander fits like a glove and seems so natural, reminding me of other trios like Rush. Maybe it's not a coincidence that they were so influenced by them and also decided to dedicate the first few seconds of the album to YYZ's intro, making us believe as if they were going to play it.

Except for Anti Pop released in 1999, this is their heaviest album. Claypool's bass is still very high in the mix and is the first thing you'll notice at first listen, but still Lalonde's guitars are fairly heavy and aggressive, something that will gradually reduce from this point on. Primus's style is so cool and fresh, mixing hard rocking and quirky almost funky riffs with a lot of groove and humor, but always with high standard and professional playing. But still Primus are and always will be an acquired taste. I would rank this as their best album along with 'Tales From The Punchbowl'. What makes this an excellent album is the sheer energy bursting out of these young dudes expressed in every single song. Claypool's bass is pounding away like there is no tomorrow while Lalonde's guitars are tasty but stil hard rocking as hell, featuring some excellent solos, noises and everything in between. As legendary those two are I think Tim Alexander is really stealing the show here. Enjoying an excellent drum sound (especially the toms) Alexander is totally original and has a very groovy style but still can be very fierce.

The album's material is fantastic, there are no fillers or weak songs but if I'll have to name a few highlights I would pick 'Groundhog's Day' with it's slow groovy main theme which later breaks into a fast ride ending with a heavy bang. 'Mr. Knowitall' could be my all time favorite and the most progy song by the band, gradually moving from one riff to the other circulating around the main riff with superb guitars and excellent drumming, if this is not good than I don't know what is. 'Frizzle Fry' (the song) again begins slowly and breaks into fast heavy madness, reminds me a lot of The Necromancer's rocking middle section by Rush. 'Spegetti Western' and 'Harold on the Rocks' the two closing tracks include some stellar performance by all three.

Primus's music could sound a bit straight forward but it is really not. Repeated listenings will surely reveal their progy influences and their masterful playing. This is actually an easy 5 stars for me, aside from the excellent writing and playing what makes it a 5 star album is the fact that Primus brought something new, fresh and exciting to the upcoming alternative scene in the end of the 80's and early 90's, something that doesn't sound quite like it.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Send comments to Sagichim (BETA) | Report this review (#821942) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 16, 2012

4 stars Primus changed my life and it shows. I am constantly growing into a more different person, than I was when I listened to music that everybody else listened to. Thanks to Primus I found great and original bands like: King Crimson, Incubus, Mr. Bungle, The Residents and Frank Zappa & The Mothers of ... (read more)

Report this review (#550604) | Posted by Brollyhero93 | Saturday, October 15, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Do you like fishing? Do you like metal/funk with a redneck frontman? Do you like acid? well you're in luck!! Primus is the name, and all these things are their game as they take you on journeys into unknown territory that sometimes make no sense hence their humour. My skater brother intro ... (read more)

Report this review (#241678) | Posted by smuggledmutation | Saturday, September 26, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars My favourite primus album,it rocks throughout.For me i hear a band rather then Claypool and the other two,their isnt a single let down with each song remaining better then the next and herbs drumming deserves an honourable mention. An essential Primus album if you like this i recommend sail the s ... (read more)

Report this review (#134877) | Posted by mrcozdude | Sunday, August 26, 2007 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Well, I recently decided to check out Primus, after hearing so much about the great Claypool's bass talent. I am also a big fan of South Park, and have always liked the riff to the theme song. Apparently Claypool is a big fan of South Park, and having seen the original pilot, Primus obliged when ... (read more)

Report this review (#107783) | Posted by OGTL | Wednesday, January 17, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The first album of Primus I heard, and really the only one I fell to like alot. Primus is a band that I adore for their genious bass guitar (me being a lover of the bass guitar), but the style is something I was never able to obsess over like many others I know. I was given Frizzle Fry by my un ... (read more)

Report this review (#93126) | Posted by Xeroth | Monday, October 02, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I like Frizzle Fry very much. It is an inspired piece with many memorable songs(a few less-than great ones too, though). The re-issue tacks on a medley of the Residents songs Hello Skinny and Constantinople. The Residents are one of my all time favorite bands...but, I'll save that for one of my r ... (read more)

Report this review (#85509) | Posted by Third_Uncle | Thursday, August 03, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars To begin with this is an amazing album. Before the album even gets into the first song there is a brief YYZ into (as found on Suck On This). Because I love this album very much I will put my own review for each song. To Defy the Laws of Tradition- After the YYZ intro comes one of my favorite ba ... (read more)

Report this review (#63451) | Posted by | Friday, January 06, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Hell yeah!! Primus on progarchives! One of my favorite bands, these guys really show what experimental,highly technical music can sound like with a stupid sense of life. Les Claypool throughout his career has done some things that lots of bass players ever wished they could've done. I think Les ... (read more)

Report this review (#48783) | Posted by El_Progre | Tuesday, September 27, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Here's a review I wrote while listening to the album for the very first time. I've only heard Pork Soda before this one. Turned out to be a classic, one of the best albums I've heard in a long time. To Defy The Laws of Tradition starts out with a great intro and bounces into this classic ha ... (read more)

Report this review (#47945) | Posted by | Thursday, September 22, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is one of my top 10 favourite albums of all time and a underrated item in the primus discography.To Defy The Laws Of Tradition is has one of the best intros to an album every an extremly energetic and addictive tune with great musicianship as always from the primus team.every song on this ... (read more)

Report this review (#41976) | Posted by | Sunday, August 07, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of PRIMUS "Frizzle Fry"