Ice Age - Liberation CD (album) cover

Ice Age

5 stars This is such a great band. I picked up Ice Age's 1st album "The Great Divide" 2nd hand for only $5 after seeing their name in a Magna Carta booklet, and wow. I was pleasantly surprised and excited that a new band was actually producing great progressive music!

Then i got this album. I am surprised that the majority of reviewers think that their debut was better than this follow-up, Liberation. I actually think it is a step forward, and even more consistent than the 1st album.

There is not a single forgettable melody on this album, save for perhaps a tiny bit of "To Say Goodbye Pt. III". Everything else is just beautifully constructed --- the musicians are very proficient, guitarist Jimmy Pappas is disciplined, only displaying technical ability when it needs it. The singer is unique; might take a bit of getting used to, but after a few listens it really grew on me. Singing is theatrical, kind of similar to Damian Wilson (Threshold) and Dennis DeYoung.

Another thing I really like -- the song structures are set out as a mix between either short 1-2 min songs and 6-8 min ones. It sets a nice atmosphere and flows well as an album. Lyrics are thought-provoking too.

Anyway, the music is performed without falling into the heavier trend of recent progressive music; Ice Age have the perfect balance, only a slight metal leaning.

Check it out, support this underrated band.

rollthebones | 5/5 |