Caravan - In The Land Of Grey And Pink CD (album) cover

IN THE LAND OF GREY AND PINK

Caravan

Canterbury Scene

nikow
5 stars This is one of those albums which can cheer you up no matter how depressed you're feeling. The silly but clever lyrics, the great, unique vocal delivery, the happy-go-lucky arrangements; In the Land of Grey and Pink just oozes admirable nonchalance and cheery attitude, and it makes me smile everytime I listen to it. It also sounds very British to my ears. And that is a good thing.

I can't possibly find any weak links in the compositions, and they are superbly sequenced as well. Golf Girl is a great opener, and it just gets better when followed by Winter Wine. Love To Love You is a silly and catchy pop song which acts as a perfect moment to catch you breath for the title song and then the epic Nine Feet Underground which never gets dull even if it is nearly 23 minutes long. I find the sound of Caravan to be very unique altough other bands have used the same kind of keyboard sounds and flute in their music. The vocals of Richard Sinclair are really unique and charming.

The artwork fits the music and the atmosphere perfectly, conjuring up visions of hobbits on acid and stuff like that.

This is one of the finest albums you can listen to when you want to cheer up. 5 stars.

nikow | 5/5 |