Simon Railton - Here It Is CD (album) cover

HERE IT IS

Simon Railton

Windhawk
1 stars French label Musea Records have become one of my favorite record labels over the last year or so; with most releases being of a generally high quality overall on all their sub-labels.

Unfortunately, this album is an exception. And to be honest: I can't understand how this creation managed to get an official release.

Musically we're dealing with a form of instrumental progressive metal, where guitars and keyboard are the dominating instruments. The compositions in themselves are filled with breaks, tempo changes and style variations; but that's about the only positive descriptions I can give of the contents here. The drums are programmed, and sharp and machine-like in expression and reminds me of budget pop bands from the 80's in sound. The same can be said of the bass guitar and quite a few of the synth explorations. Choosing to mix guitar riffs as dominant in one channel only and selected synths in the other doesn't really come across as nice sounding either; and the guitar sound itself is gritty and fuzzy except when soloing. There are some nice sounding parts in these tunes despite this though; but the negatives far outweigh the positives on this album.

Approach with extreme caution.

Windhawk | 1/5 |