Camel - Camel CD (album) cover

CAMEL

Camel

friso
4 stars Though I prefer Mirage, Camel's debut is somehow a collection of classics. Songs like Mystic Queen and Never let go stick in you mind and need to be listened to. On their debut Camel sounds a bit dry at the first song (Slow yourself down) but then starts to open up with The Mystic Queen and most of the tracks that follow., with instrumentals Six Ate and Arubaluda falling just right in the middle. The production sounds afwull on cd, but is just good on a vinyl record. The progstyle is symphonic prog.. but somehow I always felt like Camel had just fallen between sympho and Canterbury of which it has some elements.

The interesting thing about debut albums is that one can see how a band started of and developed itself. On this record you can hear some naive elements. The soloparts of mystic queen could have been a bit more satisfying, slow yourself down could have been more lively and Six Ate hasn't a clear intention. But this doesn't bother me at all, all are excellent tracks with lots of melodies switching swiftly from one another. Highlights are the vocal parts on Mystic Queen, The solo parts on Separation, the complete Never let go song, the cute lyrics and melodies on Curiosity and strange time signatures on Arubaluba. Furthermore, Camel deserves a great compliment for the way how complete this album sounds! That's something still rare for debut albums, even those of the great progbands.

A great addition to my collection, just as all of the first four albums of Camel are in my opinion. Camel has a relatively mature sound and the composition skills are great. Four well deserved stars!

friso | 4/5 |