Gryphon - Red Queen to Gryphon Three CD (album) cover

RED QUEEN TO GRYPHON THREE

Gryphon

Prog Folk

friso
4 stars I quite hard to get a vinyl version of this nowadays, but I was very lucky. But this is not just a collectersitem, it's a folkprog classic. I must admit I've never heard other Gryphon records, but this is an outstand, progressive folky record with only four ten minutes long compositions. There are no vocals, which isn't a problem. Gryphon uses bass, drum, guitar (mostly clean, sometimes destorted), Bassoons and Krumhorns (!) and Keys.

Because of the complexity of the medieval/classical/rock compositions there is no use of reverb and delays, it would have gotten to complex to listen to. In this musical element we can find the link to the often recalled Gentle Giant, a band that uses the same recording style for their complex music. Therefore, fans of GG don't want to miss this. Other then colleague folkprogbands this ain't chord-driven music, but based on folk melodies of different instruments played together. Though the music is intense in how much melodies are played together, it still can be called relaxing because of the lovely style and the classical correctness. The main words to describe the atmospheres of the album are 'gentle', 'elegant', 'symphonic', 'intelligent', 'classical' and 'warm'.

Essential for fans of folkprog, Gentle Giant and the like and symphonic prog. I haven't heard any folk record (except for Thick as a Brick) that is so well crafted as this one. I really enjoy this every time I listen to it! It's a true gem. Four stars, but actually 4.4 stars.

Try this!