The Gathering - Always CD (album) cover

The Gathering

Experimental/Post Metal

3 stars I have always regarded this album as one of the classics. I must have been one of the first ones in Norway who bought this album when it was released. I fell for it, big time. Twenty years later, is it any good ?

The music is somewhere between goth, doom and death metal. This was goth metal long before goth was even invented. This album therefore had a huge impact on the scene. That includes myself. The song In Sickness And Health is one I always remember. The rest is pretty good. This album has lost most of it's shine. Back when it was released; I probably would had given it five stars. Now, I can see it's failings. Or maybe I have moved on and found new horizons. I do not know. But I still think it is a good album.

I regard this album as one of the better goth metal albums. The vocals are good and the musicianship is good too. The band has moved on and that is good. I have a soft spot for this band, no matter what they do and release. This band greatly influenced myself with this album. Thank you and here is three stars for you.

3.5 stars (on reflection)

toroddfuglesteg | 3/5 |