ALWAYS

The Gathering Always album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy THE GATHERING Music
Studio Album, released in 1992

1. The Mirror Waters (7:10)
2. Subzero (6:53)
3. In Sickness and Health (7:00)
4. King for a Day (6:33)

Guest musicians:
- Marike Groot / all female vocals
- Henk van Koeverden / electronics, Korg MS 10

CD Foundation-2004 2-Nl-1992 / CD Psychonaut-PSYN0001 2-???-2000

THE GATHERING MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE GATHERING Always Music

Audio Cassette$10.98
independent
Audio CD$59.98 (used)
Gathering - Always LP Vinyl Record USD $31.59 Buy It Now 6h 26m
THE GATHERING - ALWAYS.VINYL LP 1st PRESS''92!!!(Foundation 2000/CODE.FDN 2004) USD $38.90 [0 bids]
THE GATHERING Always... / Superheat:Vol.1 CD 2in1 RUS THERION PHLEBOTOMIZED USD $10.99 [0 bids]
Gathering - Always 1993 Pavement CD / The USD $3.00 [0 bids]
USD $5.00 Buy It Now
THE GATHERING "Always remix"Rare ORG cd on Foundation 2000 in 1994 USD $22.99 Buy It Now 2 days
THE GATHERING - ALWAYS - Tape USD $5.00 Buy It Now 3 days
The Gathering-Always... CD 1993 Pavement Rec. OOP Orig 1st press doom/death USD $3.00 [0 bids]
The Gathering - Nighttime Birds (mandylion , always , superheat ,anneke ,) USD $35.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Gathering - Always [CD New] USD $14.68 Buy It Now 5 days
THE GATHERING "Always" ORG press RARE OOP!!! USD $22.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Always - 2 DISC SET - Gathering (2014, CD New) USD $14.41 Buy It Now 5 days
The Gathering - Always - sealed vinyl - LP record mandylion nighttime birds USD $34.99 Buy It Now 6 days
The Gathering - Always - Cassette - Org 1993 Pavement Music USD $9.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Gathering Always Orig 1993 US pressing on Pavement USD $30.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Always by The Gathering (CD, Mar-2014, 2 Discs, Peaceville Records (USA)) USD $16.87 Buy It Now 7 days
Gathering - Always CD Pop Rock USD $18.99 Buy It Now 7 days
THE GATHERING "Always..." ORG 1st FDN press RARE OOP!!! USD $39.00 Buy It Now 12 days
THE GATHERING "Always" (CD, 2014 Peaceville Records) USD $17.95 Buy It Now 12 days
THE GATHERING - Always... Remix 1st pr. CD 1994 on Foundation 2000 USD $19.00 Buy It Now 13 days
GATHERING**ALWAYS**CD USD $13.50 Buy It Now 14 days
The Gathering - Always (CD 1992) USD $25.14 Buy It Now 16 days
The Gathering - Always - Cassette, 1993 Made In Poland USD $5.00 Buy It Now 16 days
THE GATHERING ALWAYS +3 BONUS TRACKS SEALED CD NEW 2006 USD $6.39 Buy It Now 16 days
The Gathering - ALWAYS CD 1993 PAVEMENT METAL RULES USD $16.55 Buy It Now 17 days
GATHERING**ALWAYS**VINYL USD $21.50 Buy It Now 17 days
GATHERING - ALWAYS NEW CD USD $20.11 Buy It Now 18 days
Always - Gathering New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping USD $22.43 Buy It Now 20 days
THE GATHERING ALWAYS G/F 2LP 2000 VINYL COLLECTORS opeth death anathema samael USD $54.99 Buy It Now 22 days
Always - Gathering New & Sealed LP Free Shipping USD $32.34 Buy It Now 22 days
Gathering - Always.Remix CD 1992 Foundation 2000 Rare USD $29.00 Buy It Now 23 days
The Gathering - Always... (NEW 2 x CD) USD $16.89 Buy It Now 24 days
THE GATHERING - ALWAYS * 2014 PEACEVILLE VINYL LP NEW & SEALED USD $19.90 Buy It Now 25 days
THE GATHERING - ALWAYS [THE GATHERING] [CD BOXSET] [2 DISCS] - NEW CD BOXSET USD $11.67 Buy It Now 26 days
Always - Gathering (2014, Vinyl New) USD $24.27 Buy It Now 27 days
Gathering - Always [Vinyl New] USD $25.48 Buy It Now 27 days
GATHERING - ALWAYS NEW VINYL USD $34.00 Buy It Now 27 days
the Gathering - Always... / Superheat: Vol. 1 (Agat Rec.) Russian Rare Pressing USD $16.00 Buy It Now 28 days
Gathering The-Always... CD NEW USD $17.28 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy THE GATHERING music online Buy THE GATHERING & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE GATHERING DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE GATHERING Always ratings distribution

THE GATHERING Always reviews

Review by UMUR
3 stars "Always..." is the debut full-length studio album by Dutch doom/death metal act The Gathering. The Gathering is probably mostly known for their female led progressive rock/ metal which they began playing on their 3rd studio album "Mandylion" from 1995. Before that they had released two doom/ death metal albums in "Always... (1992)" and "Almost a Dance (1993)".

The music on the album is doom/ death metal with some really deep and growling vocals. We also get some occasional female vocals from guest vocalist Marike Groot. Those of you who know The Gathering from "Mandylion" and onwards know that The Gathering´s music is very much centered around Anneke van Giersbergen´s beautiful vocals, but on "Always..." the female vocals are only an effect to colour the music. The Gathering make heavy use of keyboards in their music. It´s actually a very dominant feature on "Always..." and also a great asset IMO. The music on "Always..." reminds me a bit about the first two Paradise Lost albums: "Lots Paradise (1990)" and "Gothic (1991)". It is in large part due to the similar deep and brutal growling style (Bart Smits sounds a lot like Nick Holmes did in the early days) and the operatic female vocals which also appear on "Gothic". The songs are interesting in structure and we´re treated to intriguing parts in each song. The album is generally very melodic and there are some pleasant acoustic parts which is great for the dynamics of the album.

The musicianship is good even though the drums are a bit too simple and untight.

The production isn´t the best. The guitars are way too low in the mix and it affects my enjoyment with the album.

"Always..." has been a pleasant surprise to me and I really enjoy the overall atmosphere on the album despite a few flaws. A 3 star rating is warranted. "Always..." is recommended to fans of the early nineties doom/ Death metal scene which included acts like Cathedral, Anathema, My Dying Bride, Amorphis, Tiamat, Cemetary and Paradise Lost.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#183939) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 28, 2008

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
2 stars Doom/Death/Goth, I sometimes feel lost amongst these terms. It's usually hard to correctly define what's what. Whatever it is, it's only partially touched by Prog elements. The most prominent track would probably be King For a Day, but bright moments like these in this song are rare as sunshine during stormy day.

Maybe some of you will remember Metal band Tristania, so even main vocals are male dominant, woman is trying to add some tricks to the singing department, unfortunately, they are badly mixed (or what) and are too weak to penetrate through. This album sounds quite like demo.

And I don't have to add that I was shocked a lot because the only other release by "The Gathering" I've heard was "A Sound Relief" and this means completely different style, few different members as well and so this caused some kind of cultural shock.

But because I've tried to be honest and gave this record a fair chance, I must say that even this is genre quite different from those that I'm used to listen, it is melodic, giving enough Prog elements to give this fair rating. I'm not sentimental, I don't have history with this CD nor I know this band for a long time and so I'm fanboy.

3(+), no, just giving this album my standard treatment.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#282541) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 18, 2010

3 stars I have always regarded this album as one of the classics. I must have been one of the first ones in Norway who bought this album when it was released. I fell for it, big time. Twenty years later, is it any good ? The music is somewhere between goth, doom and death metal. This was goth metal ... (read more)

Report this review (#232193) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Tuesday, August 18, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Well, I typed up my long review and in a connection lag while posting, it was all lost. Just goes to show one should always copy it before attempting to post. I'll try to recapture what I've written before, but don't expect much. My first The Gathering purchases were "Home" (2006) and "Downfa ... (read more)

Report this review (#93004) | Posted by Tailscent | Monday, October 02, 2006 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Rating the first two studio-albums by THE GATHERING is a difficult thing to do. Everyone should be aware of the fact that changing the vocalist (Anneke van Giersbergen from the third album to present) transformed THE GATHERING into a completely different band. I apologize to all fans of Death-Me ... (read more)

Report this review (#88157) | Posted by Waylander | Friday, August 25, 2006 | Review Permanlink

1 stars This first album from The Gathering is doomdeath with "beauty and the beast" type of vocals. It's totally different from everything they've done after that, and shouldn't be chosen as an introduction to this band. I recommend Theatre Of Tragedy for music of this type or Mandylion for a good st ... (read more)

Report this review (#65393) | Posted by zaxx | Wednesday, January 18, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE GATHERING "Always"