The Gathering - Always CD (album) cover

The Gathering

Experimental/Post Metal

Marty McFly
Errors and Omissions Team
2 stars Doom/Death/Goth, I sometimes feel lost amongst these terms. It's usually hard to correctly define what's what. Whatever it is, it's only partially touched by Prog elements. The most prominent track would probably be King For a Day, but bright moments like these in this song are rare as sunshine during stormy day.

Maybe some of you will remember Metal band Tristania, so even main vocals are male dominant, woman is trying to add some tricks to the singing department, unfortunately, they are badly mixed (or what) and are too weak to penetrate through. This album sounds quite like demo.

And I don't have to add that I was shocked a lot because the only other release by "The Gathering" I've heard was "A Sound Relief" and this means completely different style, few different members as well and so this caused some kind of cultural shock.

But because I've tried to be honest and gave this record a fair chance, I must say that even this is genre quite different from those that I'm used to listen, it is melodic, giving enough Prog elements to give this fair rating. I'm not sentimental, I don't have history with this CD nor I know this band for a long time and so I'm fanboy.

3(+), no, just giving this album my standard treatment.

Marty McFly | 2/5 |