Can - Tago Mago CD (album) cover

TAGO MAGO

Can

Krautrock

greenback
2 stars I was told that if I don't get the krautrock style, a subgenre of the progressive rock, then maybe some of the best Can albums would definitely convince me. Well, I still don't get this strange, psychedelic, UNMELODIOUS and MARGINAL music.

The long "Aumgn" track, lasting around 17 minutes, has miscellaneous bizarre echoed notes, producing psychedelic patterns: hypnotic low pitched voices, irritating guitars with fingers sliding on the strings, delicate & experimental percussive elements, repetitive drums like in the subway corridors, all this is punctuated with a permanent echo, seems deeply improvised and demonstrates a flagrant lack of structure.

Fortunately, a couples of tracks are better structured, like "Bring me coffee", reminding me Jade Warrior circa 1975.

"Halleluhwah" would have been perfect for the 69' Woodstock festival, being quite rhythmic, but I think it is too long (18 minutes), because it is VERY repetitive: only 4-5 minutes would have been sufficient.

"Mushroom" has repetitive drums, irritating and alienating voices: this is the kind of music some records store clerks of Montreal used to play in the boutique.

"Oh Yeah" has a very marginal style, having sissy electric guitar solos, and the repetitive drums seems to make 50% of the sound!

"Paperhouse", another Woodstock-esque song, is the most rock one, having some piano and visceral guitar solos.

"Pecking O" is absolutely silly: the scatting vocals are irritating and hysterical; the dissonant instruments seem to badly converse each other; a huge discomfort is omnipresent here; the track is absolutely theatrical, childish and obviously very experimental; it slightly reminds me some non sense parts on the Frank Zappa's "Weasels ripped my flesh" album.

The keyboards are very timid and unmelodious. I can't see any progressive rock element here.

greenback | 2/5 |