Queensr˙che - American Soldier CD (album) cover

AMERICAN SOLDIER

Queensr˙che

UMUR
3 stars American Soldier is the eleventh full-length studio album by American progressive metal act Queensr˙che. I wasn´t too impressed with Operation : Mindcrime II (2006) which was their last album with original material ( Queensr˙che released Take Cover in 2007 which is a cover tune album), so my expectations weren´t too high when I put this album on to take a listen. I´ve been pleasantly surprised though and I´m happy that I finally decided to give American Soldier a chance.

The music sounds like a mix between the music on Promised Land (1994) and Tribe (2003) to my ears and that´s not the worst albums I could mention for references IMO. The use of saxophone in a couple of the songs of course leads my thoughts towards the former while the dark mood and heavy riffing reminds me of the latter. American Soldier is a concept album where the lyrics are, as the title suggests, about American Soldiers in times of war and peace. As the liner notes says: "This record is dedicated and was inspired by stories from soldiers who have served America during times of war and peace. Thank you!". A controversial subject matter. The stories are generally melancholic and are meant to bring awareness to the problem that many war veterans have a hard time adjusting to society when they return home after serving their country in foreign lands. There´s also some songs about having to deal with a bad conscience having killed other people in the line of duty. The songs as always are centered around the powerful vocals and strong vocal lines by Geoff Tate. This time there´s a guest appearance in the song Home Again when Geoff Tate sings duet with his 10 year old daughter Emily Tate. The songs have lots of samples with soldiers speaking about their experiences which is great for the atmosphere of the album.

The band is as always very well playing and professional. They don´t play anything extraordinairy but they know their chops and it´s always nice to listen to professionals play.

The production is very good. Warm and heavy. I like it.

In the end American Soldier becomes a bit too predictable and formulaic vers/ chorus styles for my taste though and it´s a real shame that Queensr˙che seems to be content with this style and don´t aim for a more playful and adventurous songwriting style because this album definitely has the potential to be something special. As it turns out American Soldier is a good album by Queensr˙che with some excellent moments deserving a 3.5 star rating and I would say it´s their best album since Promised Land.

UMUR | 3/5 |