Genesis - Nursery Cryme CD (album) cover

NURSERY CRYME

Genesis

SentimentalMercenary
5 stars Wish all album ratings were so easily ruled on.

I remember when way back, a friend of mine had to work quite hard to convince me into trying vintage Genesis. I thought they were probably overrated, like some object of some cult following that would just not meet the expectations of most people like me. How badly wrong was I. And as I am writing this, I realize that it requires of me much humility to confess such erroneousness so openly.

My first experience with Gabriel-era Genesis happened to be Foxtrot. It did not take long to floor me down, and led me straight to Nursery Cryme short after.

There are many old albums in my collection that I still enjoy listening to from time to time, but none older than Nursery Cryme that I still enjoy this much. Despite the drums and keyboards which have yet to peak, the quality of the moving compositions, their sheer originality at the time, as well as the gripping melodies and movement transitions are jaw-dropping even today, and have easily withstood the test of time.

I need not elaborate on the greatness of The Musical Box, The Return of the Giant Hogweed, Seven Stones or The Fountain of Salmacis, as everything has already been said about them.

There is no better example of a masterpiece of progressive rock music than Nursery Cryme. A true classic.

SentimentalMercenary | 5/5 |