Queensr˙che - Operation: Mindcrime CD (album) cover

OPERATION: MINDCRIME

Queensr˙che

Menswear
2 stars Oh boy. 1988. I was sporting a Garfield sweat-shirt, watching Ben Johnson being kicked out of the Olympics due to drugs. 'Pour some sugar on me' by Def Leppard, R.E.M. and the rising on New Kidz on the Block where on heavy MTV rotation. Also, the DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince hits with 'Parents just don't understand' and De La Soul is a newcomer on the rap scene. Ahh, a good time to be alive. Just good times.

But not being a very metal guy, I always stayed away from Poison, Judas Priest and Motley Crue. And Queensryche is, to say the least, a good representation of the 88' sound. Big hair, big voice and hooker leather attitude on scene.

Queensryche, being famous for 'Silent Lucidity' (another super MTV product) never got a high rating in my book. Even if it's prog-metal (or tries real hard to be), this is basically a good idea ruined by overdoing it. The voice is cliché, the plot is cliché (tough hitman ends up suffering by the loss of his prostitute girlfriendand and having memory loss) the whole package just smells like a more complicated Bon Jovi. Even the singer sounds like a cross between Malmsteen and Nikki Sixx. Getting tired after a (quick) while.

But don't get me wrong, the music part is relatively well done. The sounds is not too challenging or innovative, but the will to relate a story and adding many theatrical bits is cool. They really applied themselves to follow a constant path so the story is, for once, easy to follow. Also a good thing being the short format of the songs, making the experience more enjoyable, putting a tad diversity in melodies and making the story kinda fun to watch progressing.

The musicianship is not as high as the other reviewers state it. It's basically Yngwie Malmsteen back-up band style. You know, your fast-paced bass/drums interplay and layers of Iron Maiden's famous vocals. Nothing new to me, honestly.

Well, if you're really into prog-metal and you want a piece of history real bad, I think this could be the 'grandfather' of today's concept albums such as Ayreon for instance.

You gotta be a fan of that type of sound and attitude, because it didn't aged so well. So grab your leather perfecto, put on a Bon Jovi wig, fuel up on cherry pepsi and let the good times roll.

Menswear | 2/5 |