Peter Hammill - Incoherence CD (album) cover

INCOHERENCE

Peter Hammill

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
3 stars EDITED REVIEW: I remember being quite disappointed with this album after the first few listens. I just went through Hammill's entire catalogue again and this album, together with Clutch, has struck me now as one of his best albums since Patience.

I kept the original review here below as it is interesting to see how I thought about it 5 years ago. While some of the remarks about the slightly dated sound still stand, I believe the effect is nevertheless successful. As usual Hammill albums are best appreciated when you've submitted yourself completely to his universe.

After a strong couple of albums, Incoherence seems to continue Hammill's new found inspiration. Unfortunately, that impression didn't last more then 3 listens. After a while it turns out this record is a nice exercise in style but doesn't contain many songs or ideas that stick. Hammill is at loss for inspiration. But worst of all it the damn sound of this thing. Again, Hammill has adapted his late 80's and 90's sound, which was already overdue more then 20 years earlier. It sounds not very different from Skin or In a Foreign Town. Yes, the plastic look and feel is back. I can hear some potential here, but I won't listen to it again.

I wouldn't recommend this as your first Hammill album, but if you're into the man then give it a chance, and also a few years until you pass final judgement :)

Bonnek | 3/5 |