Arena - Contagium CD (album) cover

CONTAGIUM

Arena

SouthSideoftheSky
Symphonic Team
3 stars Another batch of tasty leftovers!

Contagium is one of out two EPs (the other one is called Contagious) that Arena released in the wake of their full length masterpiece album Contagion. Stemming from the same sessions and originally intended to be included on the actual album, the extra songs presented on these two EPs are - not surprisingly - very much in the same fashion as those that ended up on Contagion. Apparently (since I don't own any of the EPs in physical form, I had to look up this information from another source), the two EPs came with instructions on how to insert these extra tracks (not including the remixes, of course!) into the original running order of the original Contagion album. I have followed these instructions and listened to the album in its full form (apparently known as 'Contagion Max'). And while listening to the album with these extra songs added is a great experience, I must say that this long version does not flow as well as the original version. I am therefore in fullest agreement with the band's decision to keep these songs off the actual album (A future release of Contagion Max on double CD has been discussed though!).

While Contagious had four tracks, Contagium has three (again, not counting the two redundant remixes that closes the two EPs). All in all, this amounts to a further 36 minutes of music in the style of Contagion! This is indeed very good news for us who already love the band and the Contagion album in particular. While generally not as strong as the Contagion material itself, these "leftovers" are very tasty indeed! On The Edge Of Despair and The March Of Time are very good songs and Confrontation is an instrumental. Whenever I heard these EPs, I want to hear the album afterwards!

For those yet to discover Contagion, I strongly recommend to start with the short version. As I said, it flows better and it is therefore the ultimate version.

Good, but only essential for fans of Arena and the Contagion album in particular.

SouthSideoftheSky | 3/5 |