Genesis - Wind And Wuthering CD (album) cover

WIND AND WUTHERING

Genesis

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
2 stars I'm a bit surprised that so many people seem to enjoy this album. To put it bluntly, it's 50 tedious minutes full of 'More Fool Me'-like songs with Phil trying to sing material his voice isn't suited for at all. On this album it is weak and awfully whiny if you compare it to how he performs on songs like Abacab and Mama.

But the blame is not just on Phil. The rest of the band puts in an equally bland performance. Just compare the instrumental section of One For the Vine against anything they did before. It's second rate at best. There are some nice instrumental tracks though. Wot Gorilla, Unquiet Slumbers and In That Quiet Earth are nice cuts that could have come off any Hackett album. Another track to check out would be Afterglow with its strong crescendo. It saves this album from the dreaded two-star punishment and lifts it to 2.5. But I always round down.

It is really for fans only. Besides the tracks I mentioned I can't see much worth returning to. I'm sure Blood on the Rooftops is meant to have a grand sweeping effect when the chorus sets in but the melody is just too unremarkable to leave much of an impression.

Genesis still had a lot more in them then what came out on this sloppy album.

Bonnek | 2/5 |