Marillion - Afraid of Sunlight  CD (album) cover

Marillion

SouthSideoftheSky
Symphonic Team
3 stars Not brave, I'm afraid

After the excellent Brave, Marillion released Afraid Of Sunlight. While there are individual tracks here that are good or even very good, the album is a whole is not as consistent as the conceptual and moving Brave. Opener Gazpacho is one of the good tracks that almost sounds like it could have come from Clutching At Straws, but the silly Cannibal Surf Babe quickly diminishes the listener value of this album for me. I know this is supposed to be funny, but humor is very difficult to combine with Prog Rock in my opinion. I much preferred the dark mood of Brave. Beautiful is indeed a beautiful song even if not at all a progressive one, but the jazzy two-part title track does little for me and the other tracks are not very memorable.

This not being a conceptual album like the previous one, allowed Marillion to have a little fun and go into several different directions. But having fun and creating great music are very different things. The conclusion can only be that Afraid Of Sunlight is not as good as Brave and neither does it include anything as great as the title track of the next album, This Strange Engine.

For me this is good, but not essential

SouthSideoftheSky | 3/5 |