Marillion - B'Sides Themselves CD (album) cover

B'SIDES THEMSELVES

Marillion

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
4 stars This album consists primarily of all the jewels from the early days. The first four tracks from 1982 are at least as good or even better then what ended up on the debut album. It's still a bit premature and especially Grendel screams Genesis rip-off from miles away, but in my ears it's not inferior in quality to the example they tried to emulate and after all, that is what matters.

The set is completed with Cinderella Search, one of my favorites, and the b-sides from Kayleigh, Lavender and Sugar Mice. Especially Tux On is a real gem and better then its A side (lots better that would be).

With the re-release of the Fish-fronted Marillion CDs by the end of the 90's this collection has become very much redundant so unless you would stick to your original vinyl or first generation CDs, the rating would be 3 stars max. Judging it at its original merit I'd be close to 4.5 stars however.

PS. It completely eludes though me why Wilkinson designed one of the ugliest album sleeves of rock history here. Is there anybody who actually liked this tastelessly loud hodgepodge?

Bonnek | 4/5 |