Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters CD (album) cover

HEAD HUNTERS

Herbie Hancock

friso
3 stars Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters (1973)

Well.. gone were the days of progressive fusion for Herbie, instead we've got a inventive funk/jazz. Their was need for more commercial succes and so Herbie got to work with the Headhunter, who would later make their own funk albums.

The cover of this record is one of my favourites of all time. The strange thing is: everyone I asked about what was the expression of the big yellow head, had a another intrepation of it's mood.

The mood of the music is very clear however. Straightforwarded funk with some spacy sounds and some other details. Chameleon has a electric bassline, which is the base of the piece. As the song progresses some real bibop jazz chords appear in the composition, though extended wind and key solo's are the main elements. Watermelon Man has some odd vocal rythms and a smooth bassline. A short songs with a nice vibe. Sly and Vein Melter are in the vein of Chameleon, but I thing side two is still a bit better then side one.

I really like this record, but I wouldn't recommend it to the general prog music listener. For people who like to listen to jazz (or those who are willing to try it) this is a perfect trendy classic record. It should not be avoided! Three stars because of the lack of progressiveness. On a jazz site I would have rated it five stars though, this is that one perfect stylish jazz/funk album!

...and the coverwork is brilliant...

friso | 3/5 |