Genesis - Selling England By The Pound CD (album) cover

SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND

Genesis

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
4 stars Few will challenge this albums top 5 appearance here. Nevertheless, even fewer might claim this is a flawless album. So why all the praise?

For me it's simply because of Dance With The Moonlit Knight and Firth or Fifth. Those two tracks are easily among the most beautiful pieces of progressive rock ever recorded, especially in the symphonic prog sub-genre. Amazing musicianship that is both muscular and subtle and that never gets in the way of the compositions. Stellar guitar work, great melodies and plenty of chilling and dramatic moments. Oh yes this is prog at its pinnacle.

There are also flaws though. More Full Me is a pretty embarrassing moment and I know for sure that I don't like I Know What I Like. Ok, you might need to read that one a few times. I guess many people won't enjoy Epping Forest all that much neither. Well I sure like that quirky Epping piece. Also Cinema Show is an epic classic with one of the better synth solos in rock. Not that there is much competition (brouhaha). I'll leave you sitting on that for now. If you're curious how I feel about prominent keyboards in rock I have to divert you to my Yes, ELP or other Genesis reviews :)

Well that should do it for this one. You must be bored to death already with reviews about this. 4.5 stars

Bonnek | 4/5 |