Camel - Mirage CD (album) cover

MIRAGE

Camel

Neurotarkus
5 stars I remember when I first heard Mirage, via youtube- I was impressed enough to go out and buy the album as soon as I could (take note, WMG) at my local record store, and what a purchase it was! Mirage was one of the great pieces of progressive rock I discovered early on that inspired me to pursue the genre further.

Camel sounds like symphonic prog à la Yes with significant amounts of Canterbury Scene thrown in, resulting in a sound that resembles Yes, but is not a mere clone. The music can be described as relaxing, high-flying, guitar-driven, floating like a bird on air, flowing like a great ocean. However, the music is not really ambient- it maintains certain traits that preserve its status as a rock band, mainly Latimer's excellent guitar. All of the tracks on the album are strong and attention-grabbing- Side one contains "Freefall", a dreamy, guitar-laden song; "Supertwister", a relaxing number led by winding flute; and "Nimrodel/The Procession/The White Rider", a fantastic (as in, "of fantasy") fairy tale with some nice synth work. Side two contains the energetic, jazzy instrumental "Earthrise", and "Lady Fantasy", an true epic, and the centerpiece of this excellent album. Recommended to anybody who is interested in prog music, as this will help you see what it's all about.

Neurotarkus | 5/5 |