Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear CD (album) cover

SCRIPT FOR A JESTER'S TEAR

Marillion

snobb
5 stars Marillion debut album. Great event in progressive rock history - neo-prog was born. I am not a big fan of Marillion, but this album is great! With many influences from 70-s, you can discribe them as modern Genesis (from Peter Gabriel era).

Music is melodic , energetic and ...fresh!!! I believe this album will become classic ( and it is extremely rare thing when we speak abot so called "neo-prog"). I like Fish voice ther, drive and melodies, nice sound - everything!!!

It's pity, but after few more albums Marillion became just one of faceless neo-prog band. In fact, I am not sure about all that name - "neo-prog". It's more name about time, not music. For me Marillion debut became next logical step after canadian Saga few first albums. Saga isn't neo-prog, and Marillion is. What the difference? And more: after Marillion few first albums succcess there were born myriad of semi-professional band playing some mish-mash of Marillion, art-rock a-la 10 cc and Roxy Music, plenty of citates from all the possible bands from 70-s. Usually without new ideas at all, with very average tecnhique of musicanship, and with hundreds of faceless albums. All that was named neo-prog. Ok, there are few so-so bands, as IQ, etc., but all others aren't accessible for listening and I believe the history will delete them as synthy-pop from 80-s, or disco.

But this Marillion album will stay as perfect example of progresive from early eighties.

snobb | 5/5 |