Leb I Sol -  Leb I Sol  CD (album) cover

LEB I SOL

Leb I Sol

friso
4 stars Leb I Sol - s/t (1977)

From Yuguslavie came a bit to late this perfect jazzrock/fusion group Leb I Sol, Bread and Salt. For a change I will discribe this album by what it has to offer and what it does not have to offer.

Leb I Sol is a four piece band; electric guitar, bass, keys and drums. There are some songs on the albums in which the guitarist Vlatko Stefanovski does some rewarding vocal duties. All other tracks are heavy uptempo melodic jazzrock tracks with all instruments playing on the main position. These guys seem to have played some time together! Especially the solo's of guitarist Vletko are amazing! How come I've never heard his name? Since this is the Leb I sol debut he must have played even better the years after '77. He has the speed, he's got rythm, some nice original recognisable ideas for solo's and he's never out of pitch. The keys are also played very well, as are drum and bass. The main reason I came to like this album so much is the fact it's an melodic jazzrock album with Balkan influences. The tracks rock, are technically evolved (still a bit naive sometimes, but I tend to like that), have solo's of most of the instruments. As if they weren't blessed enough the song writing potential is very high! Here Leb I Sol uses its melodic talent to meet with some nice vocals (in Yugaslavion..?) that actually fit very well. The line between jazzrocker and song is very straight, but this formula seems to work very well. On some of the tracks one can also hear a mellotron.

What does this record not have? Ugly McLaughlin: I-think-I-can-do-everything solo's, no unefficient Corea songwriting, no useless solo'ing, no headaching toneshredding. Sorry for being so critical about Mahavishnu and Forever, but they've gone to far to be likable for me on about 30% of every record they made.

In fact, I want to hear side two every time I listen to this record. Leb I Sol has the talent of most of it's English predecessors, but they have Focus. It sounds like they are in control and not their ego's. This is why this is such a great fusion record, it's what I've been searching for al along!

Conclusion. Absolute musthave for fusion/jazzrock listeners. A great addition for all progressive music listeners, for it has enough melodic themes to enjoy for everyone. Four stars, I want more of this!

friso | 4/5 |