LEB I SOL

3. Utrinska tema (3:20)
4. Kokoska (5:00)
5. Nisam tvoj (3:20)
6. U senci
7. Cudo za tri dana (2:50)
8. Pesma o sonji H... (5:09)
9. Damar (3:28)

Search LEB I SOL Leb I Sol lyrics

Search LEB I SOL Leb I Sol tabs

- Vlatko Stefanovski / guitar, vocals
- Koki Dimusevski / keyboards
- Bodan Arsovski / bass
- Garo Tavitijan / drums, percussion

LP PGP RTB LP 5319 (1978 Yugoslavia)
CD T.Pics/PGP RTS CD 2036 (2000 Slovenia) (Re-issue together with Leb i sol 2 on 1 CD)

and to seyo for the last updates

LEB I SOL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy LEB I SOL Leb I Sol Music

Leb I Sol 2Leb I Sol 2
Imports 2014
Leb I SolLeb I Sol
Imports 2014
LEB I SOL"2 ZLATNA"PROG FUSION JAZZ ROCK YUGOSLAVIA LP MINT US $45.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Leb I Sol US $9.99 [0 bids]
Bodan Arsovski - Endless View (Ex Leb I Sol) US $10.99 [0 bids]
LEB I SOL AKUSTICNA TRAUMA ETHNO JAZZ EXYUGOSLAV 2LP US $61.49 Buy It Now 5 days
LEB I SOL KALABALAK FUSION JAZZ ROCK EXYUGOSLAV LP US $40.99 Buy It Now 5 days
LEB I SOL S/T ETHNO JAZZ STEFANOVSKI EXYUGOSLAV LP US $61.49 Buy It Now 5 days
Vlatko Stefanovski ( Leb i Sol) ?- 3 Summer Days CD limited/ sealed MINT US $14.00 Buy It Now 7 days
OMLADINA V/A INDEXI LEB I SOL JAZZ FUSION FUNK EXYU 2LP US $122.99 Buy It Now 8 days
LEB I SOL - (?) !!! EXTRA RARE YUGO JAZZ - ROCK FUSION !!! US $29.90 Buy It Now 10 days
LEB I SOL - AKUSTICNA TRAUMA Live Yugo Fusion Ethno Jazz Prog 2xLP Vinyl 12" US $39.90 Buy It Now 15 days
LEB I SOL-KAO KAKAO-YUGOSLAV CASSETTE TAPE 1987-YUGOSLAV JAZZ-ROCK-FOLK US $10.00 Buy It Now 15 days
LEB I SOL 1979 RARE UNIQUE EXYU CASSETTE TAPE ROCK JAZZ US $28.69 Buy It Now 16 days
Damage Vol76 RARE NEW CD Buzzcocks LEMONHEADS PJ Harvey JOI Leb i Sol CAKE Dink US $9.99 Buy It Now 17 days
LEB I SOL SLEDOVANJE RARE ORIGINAL YUGOSLAVIA JAZZ ROCK 1ST PRESS 1981 VG+/EX US $18.00 Buy It Now 17 days
LEB I SOL BESKONACNO RARE ORIGINAL YUGOSLAVIA JAZZ ROCK 1ST PRESS 1981 VG/EX- US $18.00 Buy It Now 17 days
LEB I SOL"SREBRANA" PROG FUSION JAZZ ROCK YUGOSLAVIA LP MINT US $35.00 Buy It Now 17 days
LEB I SOL NIE CETVORICATA 78'PROG WHITE LABEL EXYU 7"PS US $20.49 Buy It Now 20 days
LEB I SOL live in New York YUGOSLAVIAN 1991 jazz/rock/etno CASSETTE US $23.00 Buy It Now 22 days
NIKOLA DIMUSHEVSKI ex LEB I SOL live MACEDONIAN 1995 CD US $20.00 Buy It Now 22 days
LEB I SOL-NIE CETVORICATA/DEVETKA-ORIGINAL YUGOSLAV 7" 45rpm 1978-YUGO PROG ROCK US $11.00 Buy It Now 22 days
LEB I SOL SAME FANTASTIC EX YUGOSLAV PRESSING ETHNO JAZZ ROCK 1978 VG-/EX US $32.00 Buy It Now 25 days
LEB I SOL KAO KAKAO ORIGINAL YUGOSLAV 1ST PRESSING 1987 EX/NM- US $34.00 Buy It Now 25 days
LEB I SOL 2 ethno Yugoslav jazz rock PRESSING 1979 VG/EX US $20.00 Buy It Now 25 days
NIKOLA DIMUSHEVSKI ex LEB I SOL/double life RARE MACEDONIAN 1993 CD US $28.00 Buy It Now 27 days
LEB I SOL KALABALAK VG LP YUGO JAZZROCK FUSION Izvir Oko Smak Yugoslav US $20.00 Buy It Now 27 days
LEB I SOL TANGENTA FANTSTIC YUGOSLAV JAZZ FOLK ROCK ORIGIN 1ST PRESS1984 EX-/EX US $35.00 Buy It Now 28 days
LEB I SOL - Kao Kakao jazz rock ethno fusion LP Jugoton inner sleeve EX US $32.00 Buy It Now 28 days
LEB I SOL - Rucni Rad rare prog rock fusion jazz rock LP US $39.50 Buy It Now 28 days
LEB I SOL FIRST LP EX RARE YUGO RARE FUSION JAZZ ROCK Smak, Indexi, Time US $35.00 Buy It Now 28 days
PREDMESTJE "Brez Naslova" CD kraan Leb I Sol US $18.24 Buy It Now 29 days
LEB I SOL PUTUJEMO ORIGINAL EX YUGOSLAV 1ST PRESS JAZZ ROCK 1989 EX-/EX US $26.00 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy LEB I SOL music online Buy LEB I SOL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for LEB I SOL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

LEB I SOL Leb I Sol ratings distribution

LEB I SOL Leb I Sol reviews

Review by Seyo
4 stars Very good debut album! "Devetka" was the first major composition by LEB I SOL using the peculiar Macedonian odd time signature (the nine in this case). "Nisam tvoj" was one of the three vocal tracks on the album, being the first major hit. "Kokoska" carries the crazy solos on guitar and piano, while "Damar" was another proto-type of their melodic instrumental which would be frequntly used on the subsequent albums. Stefanovski is already here a developed guitarist with unique style and virtuosity although in some moments his playing is too flat and rather mechanical. Josip Bocek, ex-KORNI GRUPA guitarist, was producer but he could not be too proud of his work here. The album was recorded in September 1977 in Novi Sad after only several concerts. SMAK's "Crna dama" LP was released shortly before "Leb i sol" to firmly establish the fusion path on which the Macedonian wizards would follow on. If only the production was better this would have been a candidate for a higher rating... . Still, this is a firm 3,5 stars !!! It is available on a "2LP on1CD" reissue coupled with "Leb i sol 2" (T.Pics/PGP RTS, CD 2036, 2000) so you better go and get it!

Send comments to Seyo (BETA) | Report this review (#37079) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 20, 2005

Review by clarke2001
4 stars This review is dedicated to my old acquaintance, Sonja H.

What a debut, what a band! They sound like they re-invented some genres and fused them in a unique way..well, they did. LEB I SOL is a band that was always bordering between fusion and (Balkan) folk. They were riding on that thine line from the very beginnings - of course, inclining towards a more regressive dimension in the 80's - pop music. However, their entire career is worth checking, and the first two albums are the best.

They were not the pioneers in incorporating Balkan scales and odd meters in rock music (check SMAK), but what they did was never heard before and never surpassed, not even today.

The albums starts with "Devetka" ("Nine"), cool, almost funky groove on Hohner clavinet in 9/4 (or slow 9/8) and tight drum playing, with layers of shifted/delayed guitar melody (borrowed from the old Macedonian folk tune). Delay effect is very simple, I dare to say primitive, but the effect is great. Koki's ornamenting with sparkling electric piano and his trademark portamento synth (Sequential Pro-One, if I'm not much mistaken) solos. A great start.

"Pod Vodom" ("Under The Water") has opening melody in a Balkan folk vein (although in 4/4), but the rest of the songs continues towards furious jazz-rock, with jazzy solos on keys and remarkable guitar melody. "Utrinska Tema" ("Utrina Theme") is the first of three numbers with vocals. Vlatko, the guitar player, was taking the role of singer when necessary, and he is not an outstanding singer by no means - but his voice is pleasant and non-pretentious. It would be a bit too much to expect from an outstanding guitar player to be a great vocal performer too, however, this song is beautiful (melody) although it seems a bit undeveloped (fade out occurs during the guitar solo).

After the fade out, a drum solo! Oh, how I hate drum solos.

This one is one-minute intro to "Kokoska" ("Chicken"), which is, in my opinion, one of the best songs in the history of progressive rock. I can easily forgive the drum solo, it's really impressive anyway. I won't go into an in-depth analysis of my darling, but just to let you know, this is the PORTRAIT, they managed to portrait a chicken with musical instruments, with octave jumps on Clavinet, with 7/8+9/8 killing section that sounds really like a chicken, pointlessly walking around and searching for food.

After that, "Nisam Tvoj" ("I'm Not Yours") is just a beautiful love ballad, nothing less, nothing more. It won't mean much if you don't know the language. However, electric piano is following the vocal melody...just perfectly. Pay attention.

"U Senci" ("In The Shadow") is a bit below par with the rest of the songs: it's not bad at all - it contains the same furious jazz-rock energy as "Pod Vodom", and some folk-based ultra-fast guitar licks, but sounds like a mixture of Weather Report, Return To Forever, Mahavishnu - you name it, and hell, it reminds a bit too much of Billy Cobham's "Magic" (released the same year).

"Cudo Za Tri Dana" (I don't know how to translate the figure of speech - literally "A Miracle For Three Days") is fortunately short (less than 3 minutes) and it's just a bland attempt of the band to make a sweet ballad - lyrics are atrocious. However, I will forgive it because of a few nice Mellotron layers and a certain spleen of naive, not so untypical in Yugoslavian songs of the era.

"Pesma O Sonji H." ("The Song About Sonja H.") is down-tempo jazz ballad, perhaps a tad unpolished. Koki contributes with gorgeous piano section, a bit tacky though.

Finally, "Damar". Ugh..how to translate it? Never mind. A brilliant jazzy tune with hard 'n' heavy edge, powerful soloing, and great driving, high-pitched bass.

In conclusion, this album is a milestone of progressive rock in former Yugoslavia; a new expression that will leave significant traces in contemporary music from prog to blend pop up to this day; the debut of the legends. I can't express enough how this debut was significant and influential.

And it deserves very special place in my heart, too. However (sigh), I can't force myself to rate it with five stars. In more than a one way it, is a masterpiece. But there are a few flaws that are setting the scale just a little bit below the 4,5 line. Anyway, don't hesitate to get it. It's mandatory.

Send comments to clarke2001 (BETA) | Report this review (#135631) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 31, 2007

Review by Finnforest
4 stars Leb i Sol is a Yugoslavian group led by guitarist Vlatko Stefanovski who was but 20 years old in 1977 and achieved a mature should of someone much older. This is mostly instrumental jazz rock with melody and fluid guitar solos and outstanding drumming. I also think the group would appeal outside of jazz rock circles to symphonic fans, as the Leb i Sol sound often reminds me of '70s era Camel but from a jazzier perspective. The bass player clearly recalls Ferguson, and the guitar playing sometimes can remind me of Latimer. While there are occasional good keyboard moments the big fish here is definitely the lead electric soloing of Stefanovski who is really amazing. He will land some punches. The band incorporates elements of the traditional music of their homeland into their sound as well giving it a flavor all its own. I believe that Leb i Sol should be of special interest to fans of my beloved PA namesake group Finnforest, their debut albums share a similar stylistic ground. Vlatko has given as personal influences Joni Mitchell (a very special one for her work with Methany, Pastorius, Mingus, and Shorter) and also The Beatles, Yes, Focus, Mahavishnu, Cream, Corea, Holdsworth, and Akerman.

A brief bit of early history from their website: "In the first half of the seventies of the last century, the music scene in Skopje was rather small so the future members of the LEB I SOL often worked in same bands. On 1st January 1976 Vlatko and Bodan founded LEB I SOL. together with the keyboard player Kokan Dimushevski and the drum player Dimitrije Chochorovski. They had the first performance out of Macedonia in 1977 in Novi Sad. Based on that footage they were invited at the Youth Festival in Subotica. There they won a prize and were widely acknowledged for the fist time and they signed a contract with PGP-RTS. LEB I SOL recorded their debut album LEB I SOL 1 at the studio of RTV Novi Sad in September 1977. The jazz-rock themes with ethno influences dominate the album, and six themes out of nine are instrumental. All four of the members are composing, though Vlatko is the most productive one." [Leb i Sol bio]

"Devetka" has one of the more memorable opening licks to a career, really nice stuff. It then starts to cross layer different guitar parts to a very nice effect, with the steady beat of Tavitijan keeping things perky. The ensemble playing of all four is quite remarkable for a young group's debut. Sadly the song is a fade out as will others be. "Pod Vodom" is some really driving fusion stuff, this is what you call firing on all cylinders, cooking with gas, choose your cliché. Lightning fast guitar and keyboard runs in unison, challenging each other to up the anty. YYZ fans would love this. "Utrinska Tema" gives you a rest with an acoustic, rather folkish number with vocals. The singing is pleasant enough but nothing great, but it doesn't need to be here. This is all about the band's prowess. "Kokoska" is a quirky, fun rocker. Read Moris' review for his analysis of the music portraying a chicken, which was an excellent observation. "Nisam Tvoj" has a very commercial sound but even here they touch it up with nice light mellotron in the background. "U senci" just cooks, think of some of these insanely technical shredders we have around these days, but the beauty here is that the lightning notes are used more judiciously and against the backdrop of the marvelously warm '70s sound. The sound is so warm and organic and it does not suffer from the modern day annoyance of the drums always being so damn loud in the mix. "Cudo za tri dana" begins with acoustic guitar and a gentle vocal, after a bit the mellotron comes in and it is gorgeous. A total guilty pleasure solo ensues, it's just a short feel good track. "Pesma" is delightfully slow and melodic, alternating what I believe to be flute played on keys with piano and guitar, with nimble and clear bass lines you can really hear. Great interplay, everyone really playing off the others. "Damar" is an upbeat track but not among the best in this set.

AllAboutJazz.com describes the group's sound like this: "Nothing in the world sounds like the band Leb i Sol. Period. For 20 years-as long as the band existed-it created music that was dynamic, turbulent, complex and soulful. Most importantly, the band drew upon jazz, rock and traditional Macedonian music, and later it helped in the popularization of traditional music in the Balkans during a period when the genre called "world music" didn't exist and when traditional music was thought to be un-cool."

Stefanovski himself told an AAJ interviewer "Leb i Sol was a band that at the time was superior when it came to its playing capabilities. We laid the foundations for what in the Balkans is known as ethnic or world music. We approached the folklore in a very spontaneous and brave manner, while retaining our image of a rock'n'roll band. Although we had an image like that still the music was totally different, authentic and pure. Intuitively, it was a totally unconscious decision and we had no idea that it will be given such enormous importance. I think that's a healthy approach towards the tradition i.e. one must not be entrapped by it nor one should be afraid of it. One has to use what is given to him, without any stress or fear that he might make a mistake. Off course, the responsibility is enormous when it comes to dealing with Macedonian folklore as it is very rich, colorful and precise and one should not play too much with it. I have a very laid back approach towards that folklore. I know it as much as I know it and i don't know it as much as i don't. I hope to get to know it more every day. For St. Nicholas (their family saint), we had a family reunion and believe me for 3 hours people sang songs that I never heard before. I just stood there listening to songs that are archaic and totally forgotten. But some of my relatives knew these songs. That's incredible, and all of this is passed on to our children." [allaboutjazz.com]

You just can't go wrong with this no matter your taste, unless you dislike emotional instrumental (mostly) rock of the highest quality. Leb i Sol's debut is music that soars very high, instrumental rock akin to fine wine that will have jazz and rock lovers alike putting this on their "special shelf."

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#158543) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 13, 2008

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
4 stars Fantastic jazz/rock outfit coming from Skopje and formed in 1976 by guitar hero Vlatko Stefanovski and bassist Bodan Arsovski.After a couple of succesful singles,some intense live performances and a winning prize at the Youth Festival in Subotica,LEB I SOL recorded their debut at the studio of RTV Novi Sad in September 77'.

The album is a mixed work of trully amazing guitar-led compositions and some mellow vocal tracks.Stefanovki is in great form,presenting an unbelievably mature and unique style of playing characterized by his twisted breaks and inspired solos.Too often I recognize an evident ethnic feeling,especially during his solos.The guitar/keyboard interplays between Stefanovski and keyboardist Koki Dimusevski are very nice,following mainly a fast tempo.Dimusevski fills the sound with a succesful series of alternating keyboard work,including electric piano,synths and delicate mellotron.Comparisons?...hard to make...Maybe a Yugoslavian edition and mix of WEATHER REPORT,GENTLE GIANT and BRAND X would be a good description...At the end,I find this debut to be surprisingly captivating,challenging,mature and progressive.This can't be translated to anything else than my strongest recommendation!!

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#171753) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Review by friso
4 stars Leb I Sol - s/t (1977)

From Yuguslavie came a bit to late this perfect jazzrock/fusion group Leb I Sol, Bread and Salt. For a change I will discribe this album by what it has to offer and what it does not have to offer.

Leb I Sol is a four piece band; electric guitar, bass, keys and drums. There are some songs on the albums in which the guitarist Vlatko Stefanovski does some rewarding vocal duties. All other tracks are heavy uptempo melodic jazzrock tracks with all instruments playing on the main position. These guys seem to have played some time together! Especially the solo's of guitarist Vletko are amazing! How come I've never heard his name? Since this is the Leb I sol debut he must have played even better the years after '77. He has the speed, he's got rythm, some nice original recognisable ideas for solo's and he's never out of pitch. The keys are also played very well, as are drum and bass. The main reason I came to like this album so much is the fact it's an melodic jazzrock album with Balkan influences. The tracks rock, are technically evolved (still a bit naive sometimes, but I tend to like that), have solo's of most of the instruments. As if they weren't blessed enough the song writing potential is very high! Here Leb I Sol uses its melodic talent to meet with some nice vocals (in Yugaslavion..?) that actually fit very well. The line between jazzrocker and song is very straight, but this formula seems to work very well. On some of the tracks one can also hear a mellotron.

What does this record not have? Ugly McLaughlin: I-think-I-can-do-everything solo's, no unefficient Corea songwriting, no useless solo'ing, no headaching toneshredding. Sorry for being so critical about Mahavishnu and Forever, but they've gone to far to be likable for me on about 30% of every record they made.

In fact, I want to hear side two every time I listen to this record. Leb I Sol has the talent of most of it's English predecessors, but they have Focus. It sounds like they are in control and not their ego's. This is why this is such a great fusion record, it's what I've been searching for al along!

Conclusion. Absolute musthave for fusion/jazzrock listeners. A great addition for all progressive music listeners, for it has enough melodic themes to enjoy for everyone. Four stars, I want more of this!

Send comments to friso (BETA) | Report this review (#248289) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 05, 2009

4 stars What an excellent debut from this Yugoslavian band that was released back in the latter half of the seventies. I was reminded of SMAK and SYNKOPY at times with their steller instrumental work and enjoyable vocal tracks.

"Devetka" gets things started with laid back guitar and piano before the clavinet arrives.This is all so inventive and it sounds really good too. I like the electric piano and bass around 2 1/2 minutes as well. "Pod Vodom" is more uptempo and the electric piano is fantastic. Guitar and piano take turns leading the way. "Utrinska Tema" features vocals for the first time. This is a relaxed song with piano,drums and vocals leading.The bass becomes prominant later on.

"Kokoska" opens with a good drum show then the guitar and bass come in after a minute then keyboards. Clavinet and guitar follow. "Nisam Tvon" is mellow with vocals, piano and drums. It gets fuller as contrasts continue. "U Senci" features some killer guitar a minute in then it settles right down before 2 minutes. It kicks back in late. "Cudo Za Tri Dana" opens with acoustic guitar and reserved vocals.Synths wash in then it kicks in to a fuller sound at 2 minutes. "Pesma O Sonji H..." is laid back with piano. Flute comes and goes. It picks up 3 1/2 minutes in but not for long. Not a fan of this one. "Damar" becomes uptempo and synths wash in after 3 minutes.

A solid 4 stars and a worthy addition to any collection. A very talented band.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#318265) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 13, 2010

4 stars The Yugoslavian version of RTF??? Wow I have been a prog head for years since I was about 12 yrs old and haven't heard these guys til this week.... the first 3 albums are just awesome. And you cant not think about rtf when you hear the exchange of solos between the keys and guitar in certai ... (read more)

Report this review (#241642) | Posted by smuggledmutation | Saturday, September 26, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This one comes from south Balkan, from beautifull country, Macedonia (Former Yugoslavian Republic, not Greece Macedonia). Leb i Sol are stil enough unique, although there are several bands that are close to this music. Devetka is instrumental work, whose keyboards remind me on Camel, and electri ... (read more)

Report this review (#129807) | Posted by nisandzic | Sunday, July 22, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album is an excellent debut from the ultra talented Macedonian Quarter Leb i Sol. The debut album is full of good tunes, crazy solos, great musicianship, and lays the groundwork on which they will build during the next two albums. The album kicks off with the band's first recorded song, ... (read more)

Report this review (#116333) | Posted by AberDojdeDonke | Sunday, March 25, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Incredible debut from the Skopje-based quartet Leb I Sol. Each track has it's own distinctive feel. "Devetka" is the most impressive number which combines a folk inspired melody on guitar with the jazz keyboard improvisation a'la Chick Corea by Kokan Dimushevski. "Nisam tvoj" is the best early so ... (read more)

Report this review (#39728) | Posted by Aranarth | Monday, July 18, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of LEB I SOL " Leb I Sol "