Leb I Sol -  Leb I Sol  CD (album) cover

LEB I SOL

Leb I Sol

Aranarth
5 stars Incredible debut from the Skopje-based quartet Leb I Sol. Each track has it's own distinctive feel. "Devetka" is the most impressive number which combines a folk inspired melody on guitar with the jazz keyboard improvisation a'la Chick Corea by Kokan Dimushevski. "Nisam tvoj" is the best early song by Stefanovski with a relaxed, jazzy feel and a strong rephrain. It almost has a Stevie Wonder feel. "Damar" is one of my fav Leb I Sol instrumentals, written by Bodan Arsovski. It has an ethereal, warm melody. "Kokoska" is Stefanovski gone wild and is an intresting number which again combines jazz-fusion and ethno.

This was a superb debut and a proof that this band had a great potential. It is only a shame that their music changed it's path and turned more commercial and less interesting after the third album, "Rucni rad". One wonders what would've happened if Dimushevski had stayed. He was their true driving force along with Stefanovski. Without him, the band lost some of their spark.

Aranarth | 5/5 |