Black Sabbath - Cross Purposes CD (album) cover

CROSS PURPOSES

Black Sabbath

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
3 stars On this Cross album (even after 15 years I still can't tell the titles apart when referring to the Sabbath-with-Martin albums), the sound has been stripped of most of its overblown 80's resonating production values. Unfortunately Sabbath was again stripped of Dio as well, after that much maligned but still excellent Dehumanizer comeback album with him.

But I always liked the Tony Martin period. That is to say I like many songs from it. If you read my review of the other Cross album, I'm sure you figured out that subtle distinction yourself.

Cross#2 is another offering that has plenty of classic moments but is too uneven and inconsistent again to be called excellent. Let me just list the songs that really work for me and that I'm sure they will not deviate much from what everybody else has: I Witness, Cross of Thorns, Virtual Death, Dying for Your Love and the beautiful verses of Immaculate Deception (not so much the awkward tempo change).

That's about half of the album so 3 stars will have to do. Not essential or excellent, even though I believe every serious Sabbath fan should have at least one Martin album in his Sabbath section. This Cross is a decent candidate for that.

Bonnek | 3/5 |