CROSS PURPOSES

Good, but non-essential

Buy BLACK SABBATH Music
Studio Album, released in 1994

1. I Witness (4:59)
2. Cross of Thorns (4:34)
3. Psychophobia (3:15)
4. Virtual Death (5:49)
5. Immaculate Deception (4:15)
6. Dying for Love (5:54)
7. Back to Eden (3:57)
8. The Hand That Rocks the Cradle (4:30)
9. Cardinal Sin (4:21)
10. Evil Eye (6:00)

Bonus track on Japanese CD:
11. What's the Use? (3:03)

Search BLACK SABBATH Cross Purposes lyrics

- Geezer Butler / bass
- Bobby Rondinelli / drums

Released February 8th, 1994 on I.R.S. Records

CD I.R.S (1994)
CD Toshiba-EMI TOCP-8128 (1994, Japan, with 1 bonus track)

Thanks to the icon of sin for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

BLACK SABBATH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BLACK SABBATH Cross Purposes Music

EMI Import 2000
Remastered
EMI Special Products 2001
Cross Purposes LiveCross Purposes Live
EMI Distribution 1994
Audio Cassette$8.95
I.R.S.
BLACK SABBATH - CROSS PURPOSES - BRAND NEW SEALED MINI LP CD - SHIPS FROM NY USD $16.98 Buy It Now 4h 25m
Cross Purposes (1994) Black Sabbath CD RARE OOP IRS METAL USD $22.75 Buy It Now 1 day
Black Sabbath - Cross Purposes (CD, Jan-1994, I.R.S. Records (U.S.)) USD $20.23 Buy It Now 1 day
BLACK SABBATH / cross purposes /JAPAN LTD CD USD $17.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Black Sabbath - Cross Purposes (cd) USD $30.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Black Sabbath: Cross Purposes - Promo CD (rare) With Tony Martin USD $14.99 [0 bids]
USD $19.99 Buy It Now
Cross Purposes by Black Sabbath CD, Jan-1994, I.R.S. Records Immaculate shape USD $24.49 Buy It Now 3 days
BLACK SABBATH cross purposes cd USD $5.90 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Cross Purposes Signed Autographed Cd USD $132.18 Buy It Now 4 days
BLACK SABBATH Cross Purposes CD MINI LP USD $16.99 Buy It Now 5 days
(CD) BLACK SABBATH - Cross Purposes / Japan Import / TOCP-8128 USD $29.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Black Sabbath - Cross Purposes(Japanese Cd /Mini vinyl sleeve)(Inc Bonus track) USD $20.20 Buy It Now 8 days
BLACK SABBATH CROSS PURPOSES LIVE CD/VHS SET NTSC 1995 TONY MARTIN RARE HTF OOP USD $74.95 Buy It Now 8 days
Cross Purposes (1994) Black Sabbath CD RARE OOP IRS METAL USD $15.00 Buy It Now 8 days
@ CD Black Sabbath - Cross Purposes TONY MARTIN RARE METAL / I.R.S. 1994 ORG USD $24.99 Buy It Now 9 days
BLACK SABBATH-CROSS PURPOSES 1994 CD I.R.S. ORIGINAL NOT BOOT MADE IN HOLLAND USD $17.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Black Sabbath Cross Purposes UK Original Vinyl LP in 1994 Tony Iommi USD $249.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Black Sabbath / Cross Purposes JAPAN+1 w/Sticker Tony Martin OOP!!!!! *P USD $59.99 Buy It Now 14 days
Black Sabbath - Cross Purposes CD IRS 07777 13222 2 8 released 1994 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 15 days
BLACK SABBATH - Cross Purposes/Cassette Album Tape/Indonesia Issue 1984/ 2808 USD $13.98 Buy It Now 15 days
BLACK SABBATH 'Cross Purposes' Rare Unplayed Special Advance CD PROMO ONLY 1994 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 17 days
BLACK SABBATH CROSS PURPOSES CASSETTE USD $9.33 Buy It Now 20 days
BLACK SABBATH - CROSS PURPOSES - CASSETTE TAPE - I.R.S.(1994) USD $15.53 Buy It Now 20 days
Black Sabbath Cross Purposes USA Cassette Tape USD $6.99 Buy It Now 20 days
Black Sabbath / Cross Purposes JAPAN+1 Tony Martin OOP!!!!! *Q USD $39.99 Buy It Now 21 days
BLACK SABBATH CROSS PURPOSES MINI LP CD OBI USD $14.84 Buy It Now 21 days
BLACK SABBATH Cross Purposes LP Ltd 500 Japanese Bonus Track Ozzy Dio Doom Metal USD $19.99 Buy It Now 22 days
Cross Purposes by Black Sabbath (CD, Jan-1994, I.R.S. Records (U.S.)) RARE OOP USD $20.80 Buy It Now 23 days
Black Sabbath - Cross Purposes (1994) USD $15.53 Buy It Now 24 days
Black Sabbath: Cross Purposes Live 5055544202835, DVD REGION 2, BRAND NEW USD $21.54 Buy It Now 24 days
Black Sabbath - Cross Purposes CD 1994 IRS Rec. USD $24.90 Buy It Now 24 days
BLACK SABBATH - Cross Purposes (CD 1994) USA Import MINT I.R.S. X2 13222 USD $31.07 Buy It Now 25 days
BLACK SABBATH Cross Purposes LP Ltd. 500 copies Japan Bonus Track Ozzy Dio USD $19.99 Buy It Now 26 days
Black Sabbath - Cross Purposes (CD, Jan-1994, I.R.S.) Ozzy Osbourne Dio USD $24.99 Buy It Now 27 days
Cross Purposes by Black Sabbath (1994, I.R.S. Records BRAND NEW SEALED USD $19.55 Buy It Now 27 days
Black Sabbath - Cross Purposes CD USD $16.99 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy BLACK SABBATH music online Buy BLACK SABBATH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BLACK SABBATH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BLACK SABBATH Cross Purposes ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(10%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(31%)

BLACK SABBATH Cross Purposes reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars "Dehumanizer" (their previous album) with Dio back on the vocals was more of a catastrophy than anything else. This album welcomes Tony Martin who already have been the lead vocalist on three "Sabbath" albums : " The Eternal Idol", "Headless Cross" (their poorest one so far IMO), and "Tyr". None of these belonging to the good "Sabbath" repertoire.

In this album, I have to say that he is not doing too bad a job. There are no real highlight on this album but "Virtual Death" seems to come out from the seventies. The heavy Iommi riff is very efficient and instantly recognizable. It reminds the track "Black Sabbath" from their debut album. Slow-paced but devastating. A good song which brings some nostalgia to the old fans like me.

The opening number ("I Witness") is a typical hard-rock song. Aggressive and catchy beat. Several songs will be of that caliber here. "Immaculate Deception" is probably my fave of this album. Melodic vocals, super fast during the instrumental parts and with the best Iommi solo on this album. Very pleasant and to be honest, this album is probably the best one of "Sabbath" since "Sabotage" (1975).

One of their best rock ballads ever written (but they haven't written that much right ?) is also featured : "Dying For Love". Some similarities with Glenn Hughes's vocal style in this one. A bit melancholic but real strong.

"The Hand That Rocks The Cradle" combines almost acoustic parts with the most heavy ones. It is the most "sophisticated" of this album. Only for this mix; so don't expect too complex stuff there either. This album does hold any weak song. It must have been ages that it didn't happened ! No brilliant track either but a solid and well balanced album. "Cardinal Sin" is another pleasant moment.

This album is, to a certain extent, a return to some of their heavy roots ("Virtual Death", "Back To Eden", "Evil Eye") and Iommi, as usual, will raise the level of some songs to the upper side. He is the cement of "Sabbath".

Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#147234) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 26, 2007

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Back to Eden? Well, not quite?

After three very musically (though not necessarily commercially) successful albums with Tony Martin on vocals (The Eternal Idol, Headless Cross and TYR), Tony Iommi decided to kick Martin as well as bassist Neal Murray and later also drummer Cozy Powell out of the band to make room for the reunion of the Mob Rules-line up with Ronnie James Dio, Geezer Butler and Vinnie Appice. This was, in my opinion, a very bad move that gave rise to the disastrous Dehumanizer album. After this one-off reunion with Ronnie Dio, however, Black Sabbath once again found themselves without a singer and Martin was asked to rejoin the band which he agreed to. Dio took drummer Vinnie Appice with him, so there was also a need for a new drummer. I don't know if Cozy Powell was asked to return or not at this point, but if he was he must have declined since Bobby Rondinelli was brought in here to fill the drum slot. Powell did however return to the band for the next album, Forbidden. Original member Geezer Butler remained from the Dio-reunion and keyboards are as usual handled by Geoff Nichols.

This resulted in Cross Purposes. While this is a good album and a major improvement over Dehumanizer, they never managed to recapture the magic of earlier Tony Martin-fronted albums. About what would have happened had the Dio-reunion never materialized and Martin had been allowed to stay in the band, we can only speculate. But maybe it was the changing musical trends of the 90's rather than the rapid changes of vocalists that shaped the sound of Cross Purposes? You might describe it as a meeting half-way between the excellent Headless Cross and the disappointing Dehumanizer both in terms of quality and in terms of style. Like on Dehumanizer, they once again try to sound contemporary and adapt somewhat to the musical climate of the early 90's but on Cross Purposes they do this without leaving behind too much of their musical history. Given that this was in fact their goal this album is a success, but I can't help feel that some of the magic of the late 80's albums was lost here. Thus I do not see Cross Purposes as a return to the form of TYR and Headless Cross.

While there are no bad songs as such here, it is not always easy to identify the stand-out tracks. Cross Of Thorns is one of the highlights for sure, however, with its acoustic passages alternating with a melodic vocal over a heavy riff. Dying For Love is something of a power ballad very similar to Feels Good To Me from the TYR album but less good in my opinion. The rest of the songs are rather typical Black Sabbath songs based on rather paradigm Iommi guitar riffs. Had this been released by another band I might have been more impressed, but I require more of Sabbath.

This album is a recommended addition to any Black Sabbath collection that already holds the much better The Eternal Idol, Headless Cross and TYR albums.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#177956) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Review by b_olariu
4 stars This album from 1994 named Cross purposes is by far my fav Sabbath album with Tony Martin on vocals after the excellent Headless cross from 1989. This is more heavy metal than prog but very enjoyble if you like this side of the band. I have this album since it was release in 1994, and i was blown away (in a good sense), i even bought a t-short with this album. After Duhumanizer from 1992 and another Dio participation on band's career (third studio album with him) Cross purposses brings a fresh air In Sabbath sound. The album has some very fine and strong guitar riffs and solos specialy on opening track I witness, The hand that rocks the cradla and Cardinal Sin, the rest is above many pieces Sabbath done in the past. I like very much the atmosphere this album has as a whole, very doomy and heavy sometimes, that is a good thing no doubt (we talking about one of the best heavy metal bands ever) and sometimes very smooth and melacholic. Tony Martin's voice on this album is outstanding, very powerful, excellent vocalist he fits like a glove on this kind of music, just check out I witness, Cross of Thorns,Immaculate Deception, The Hand That Rocks the Cradle and Cardinal sin, excellent pieces, maybe the best Black Sabbath tunes since Mob rules. Also Iommi gather on this album top notch musicians, as always, the old mate on bass Butler, Nichols on keys (he is a curent member since Heaven and hell ) and on drums another outstanding musician Bobby Rondinelli, so is clear that the music is super well done. Something to mention is that the sound is crystall clear, every instrument sounds absolute amazing. Definetly one of my fav Black Sabbath albums ever, along with Headless cross, Heaven and hell, and couple of early albums with Ozzy. 4 stars for sure, very strong album, recommended if you are also on heavy metal side.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#184245) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Review by UMUR
3 stars Cross Purposes is the seventeenth full-length studio album by UK heavy metal act Black Sabbath. After Dios second departure from Black Sabbath just before finishing the tour supporting their sixteenth full-length studio album Dehumanizer (1992), the band reunited with Tony Martin who had been the lead singer in Black Sabbath on the albums The Eternal Idol (1987), Headless Cross (1989) and Tyr (1990). A great singer who had brought much to those albums.

The music on Cross Purposes is a bit heavier and not as epic as the music generally was on the three albums mentioned above. There are also some contemporary influences in the music and Im thinking about Alice in Chains and Soundgarden more than one time during the playing time. A band like Extreme also came to mind because of the hard rock/ funky elements in the music. These are only influences though and above all the music on Cross Purposes is still unmistakably Black Sabbath. Heavy guitar riff based songs with strong vocals by Tony Martin. The production and the musicianship are professional and strong as ever.

Cross Purposes surprised me a bit if I have to be honest. The contemporary influences were not something I had expected but they dont sound forced or out of place and Im actually glad that Black Sabbath didnt make Dehumanizer part 2 with Tony Martin on vocals. That said I still think Dehumanizer is a stronger album than Cross Purposes. Nothing beats Dios intense and passionate vocal delivery IMO. Cross Purposes is a good album though and it deserves a 3 star rating.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#224205) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 02, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars On this Cross album (even after 15 years I still can't tell the titles apart when referring to the Sabbath-with-Martin albums), the sound has been stripped of most of its overblown 80's resonating production values. Unfortunately Sabbath was again stripped of Dio as well, after that much maligned but still excellent Dehumanizer comeback album with him.

But I always liked the Tony Martin period. That is to say I like many songs from it. If you read my review of the other Cross album, I'm sure you figured out that subtle distinction yourself.

Cross#2 is another offering that has plenty of classic moments but is too uneven and inconsistent again to be called excellent. Let me just list the songs that really work for me and that I'm sure they will not deviate much from what everybody else has: I Witness, Cross of Thorns, Virtual Death, Dying for Your Love and the beautiful verses of Immaculate Deception (not so much the awkward tempo change).

That's about half of the album so 3 stars will have to do. Not essential or excellent, even though I believe every serious Sabbath fan should have at least one Martin album in his Sabbath section. This Cross is a decent candidate for that.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#248353) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 06, 2009

Review by snobb
3 stars After short Dio return to Black Sabbath team, he left again. So previous vocalist Tony Martin was recruited. But this album isn't just a "Headless Cross "Vol.2.

If Headless Cross was heavy metal wave ,very energetic and enough fast, where everyone could hear many Dio-like moments (not only in vocal), "Cross Purposes" is more attack on Ozzy's legacy.

Ex-Rainbow drummer Cozy Powell is replaced by another ex-Rainbow drummer Bob Rondinelli. Music became much slower, now it is more acoustic extra heavy doom with BS from 70-s shadows. Tony Martin even being much more Dio- like vocalist, tried to sing songs more in Ozzy key.

The result is mixed - some songs are very near to Ozzy era, but many of them are somewhere in between. No one style or structure, album sounds more as collection of songs from different years. More melodic moments, more acoustic solos, more difference. But too raw album to be really good. And not enough innovative.

I think this work should be placed somewhere between better albums from after-Dio period, but no way at the level of Black Sabbath best works.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#255463) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 10, 2009

4 stars Dang it all - new line up again - at least Tony Martin's back. I love the track "Cross of Thorns" and I immediately forgive Tony for the confusion of what may come next on future albums - I'm thinking maybe Robert Plant hahaha. Is it me or is Martin just really going through the motions here ... (read more)

Report this review (#940048) | Posted by sukmytoe | Saturday, April 06, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Perhaps the most solid Sabbath effort featuring vocalist Tony Martin, and perhaps their best album of the decade. Cross Purposes offers a wide range of compositions, from the speedy intro 'I Witness' to the doom that is 'Virtual Death' through to the ballads such as 'Dying for Love'. The retur ... (read more)

Report this review (#247172) | Posted by dalekvilla | Thursday, October 29, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BLACK SABBATH "Cross Purposes"