Hawkwind - Levitation  CD (album) cover

Psychedelic/Space Rock

5 stars If only Hawkwind could have achieved this level of sophistication and songwriting prowess more frequently... This was one of my first introductions to Hawkwind, and given its consistent songwriting and rock-solid musicianship from beginning to end, led me to believe that their earliest period was too "primitive" for my taste at the time (hey, this was ages ago, I've realized my short-sightedness).

"Motorway City" will always be one of my favorite tracks by Hawkwind as it contains all of their main ingedients: catchy, straightforward guitar, "beep-and-sweep" keyboards from another dimension, a driving rhythym more hard rock than prog (the New Wave of British Heavy Metal was happening at this time), and futuristic lyrics that could only come from this band. The overall atmosphere of "Levitation" sets itself alongside bands of other genres from the post- prog, post-punk era - social and urban decay, claustrophobia, and a general feeling of isolation found by many at the tail end of the 1970s.

If you thought HW was washed up by the late-70s, do check this out for the brilliant production quality, excellent drumming provided by none other than Ginger Baker, Tim Blake's lush and sophisticated keyboards, and searing guitarwork by Dave Brock.

Area70 | 5/5 |