Wobbler - From Silence to Somewhere CD (album) cover

FROM SILENCE TO SOMEWHERE

Wobbler

Isaac Peretz
2 stars First Impression:

It's very hard to explain why this album came out as strikingly astonishing as the album shows, despite having a considerably average line of albums preceding it.

Wobbler, a Symphonic Progressive Rock band from Norway, proved themselves capable of making outstanding works in their fourth album, "From Silence To Somewhere". The first very notable influence in this album (and band) is Yes, and King Crimson also plays a serious aspect in this specific album, with the raw Hammond keyboards presented in Larks' Tongues In Aspic (Pretty funny how even the artwork of FSTS is similar to LTIA's). After five arduous years for their fans, the band released their magnum opus (at that time), which sounded like it was taken right out of a 70s prog album catalog. This is a must-have for anyone who enjoys Yes, King Crimson and/or Genesis, or for anyone who enjoys symphonic Progressive Rock in general.

My current thoughts about the album:

Ok I'm changing the rating to two stars. This album really hasn't grown on me at all. I guess the first impression really caught me in but I've been recently listening and discovering Yes and this really brought this album's (and Dwellers') quality down. It's perfectly fine to copy an artist, but as long as you use that to create your own sound, and Wobbler isn't succeeding at that second part. This is not original. It sounds like a strange amalgamation between Yes and King Crimson: Like if Yes had done Larks Tongues In Aspic.

Of course this album is good, but only for the fans. And considering Dweller's Of The Deep sounds even more like Yes is starting to worry me that Wobbler will just become a Yes Wannabe.

I know this current thought almost entirely contradicts my first one...

But hey! Opinions change and I've gotten a wider spectrum when it comes to prog. And I have come to the conclusion that this album isn't special. If you enjoy this album and think it's a 5-Star effort, it's perfectly fine! We hear different things compared to others and there's nothing wrong with that! With that said, I think it's a two star album.

Isaac Peretz | 2/5 |

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.