Pink Floyd - The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn CD (album) cover

THE PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

snobb
3 stars I can't say I love this album, but I respect it. The best Syd Barrett album ( with PF or solo), it's really very important in all rock music history.

The music is really what we name psychedelic/space rock. Or the crazy mix of british folk roots , some blues-rock, few jazzy arrangements and plenty of early sound effects ( proto ambient sounds?).

Anyway, songs are different, mostly has it's own melody, with very experimental (for the time) structure and arrangements. In fact, almost revolutionary album. "Astronomy Domine" is the best and most representative song.

Even if now it sounds more as historical artifact, the album is still pleasant for listening.

I like middle PF very much, but early space/psychedelia just isn't my cup of tea. But even with that point of view, I feel the magic and atmospheric beauty of that work.

P.S. I own UK version with Astronome Domine on it.

snobb | 3/5 |