Camel - Rajaz CD (album) cover

RAJAZ

Camel

Hibou
3 stars This is an interesting concept album that successfully manages to evoke the solitude of the desert and its mysteries. If you find 'Dust and Dreams' or 'Harbour of Tears' a little too moody for your taste, you'll probably like "Rajaz". Among my favourite tracks are "Three Wishes", a tune in 5/8 with some memorable musical phrases. "Lost and Found" is an energetic, minor-key piece in 7/8. "The Final Encore" is a mid-tempo tune with a heavy, throbbing beat reminiscent of a camel's footsteps in the desert. "Straight to my Heart" contains the inevitable bluesy guitar solo without which the fans would feel cheated - how true! "Sahara" starts off as a mid-tempo jazzy instrumental that takes flight half way through, showcasing a most interesting blend of Arabian-like sounds and an energetic display of all that CAMEL can muster when they're truly inspired. The final track, the epic "Lawrence", is a perfect closer; it builds up ever so slowly, until soaring keyboards and ANDY's weepy, flowing guitar flights totally dominate.

A highly evocative album indeed. However, there is one fault with this album: I find it a bit monotonous. "Dust and Dreams" and "Harbour of Tears" had every reason to be sad, yet their music was not so; it was moving. "Rajaz" lacks that dimension, hence the 3 stars. Had I had the option, I gladly would have given it 3 1/2 stars.

Hibou | 3/5 |