The Doors - Morrison Hotel CD (album) cover

MORRISON HOTEL

The Doors

Proto-Prog

friso
3 stars The Doors - Morrison Hotel (1970)

This Rating is base on PROGRELATED, not PROG

Another album it though was underrated. The Doors left some of their psychedelica behind and got more into their 'gothic' blues sound with the angelic voices of lead singer Jim Morrison. Morrision Hotel became a highly relaxing blues rock album with no weak track among it, be it some are a bit simple from the compositional point of view. Still this is blues, and blues isn't always about the noodlings and intelligent chord progressions: it's about HOW it is played. If I'd give a rating for that single element of the music, it would be a masterpiece, but since we are on a progressive/related website I'll try to be more objective.

There are to sorts of songs on this album. The typical bluesy tracks and the more evolved tracks. Typical bluestracks are Roadhouse Blues, You make me Real, Piece Frog, Queen of the Highway and Maggie McHill. I talked enough about the bluesy side of the record, so I'm going to the discuss the other tracks here.

Waiting for the Sun is one of the more progressive tracks by the Doors. It has an intelligent composition and some symphonic elements. Blue Sunday is one of my Doors favourites. This is pure devotion combined with a gentle approach on music, a quiet song, but emotionally deeply evolved. Great! Ship of Fools is darker song with a touchy, interesting middle section. The lyrics are as expected with such a title, critical to society. Spy falls between the bluess and the evolved songs. It's so atmospheric and even erotical that it's a track on it's own, your girlfriend will like this! Sing it for her! Indian Summer is a track like Blue Sunday, silent and devoted.

Conclusion. For proto-prog or related this is a great album. Doors fans should never skip on it and the critics might not been very accurate. They will tell you what this album doesn't have, but what about the things that replaces those elements? What's new about it? What's wrong with a great band playing great blues songs? Which songs can replace the pure magic of Blue Sunday, Spy and Indian Summer? Just because this isn't as great as some other Doors records, it doesn't mean it isn't an excellent addition still? Well.. I myself rate this as a highly rewarding album with a high level of relaxation abilities. Three stars! Just get it! Especially protoprogger, classic rock fans and those who have girlfriends/wives among us or want a relaxing blue sunday.

friso | 3/5 |