Pink Floyd - Meddle CD (album) cover

MEDDLE

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

friso
4 stars Pink Floyd - Meddle (1971)

More then just Echoes?

After the masterpiece called Atom Heart Mother Pink Floyd went back into the studio and experimented with their equipment until enough material was written to record the new album. Two songs became famous among fans and in the progressive community; the spacey One of these Days and the epical side-long Echoes. Other songs are often forgotten by most of the people and It think that's a pity. They were confronted with heavy critics; these songs are just songs... they aren't progressive at all! No, the aren't indeed, but they do are great psychedelic songs with a warm approach on mainly unplugged guitar music. I would like to state that Pillow of Winds and Fearless are as good as the One of these Days and Echoes material! A appreciate how Pink Floyd made this very easy listening progressive/psychedelic rock album. It's soothing, it's girlfriend-frienly, I doesn't make you parents scared and it's OK for a Sunday morning. The San Tropez track has some funny moments and has a gentle jazzy vibe. Seamus (madam Nobs) is a bluess song with a dog as a vocalist, this is VERY progressive in a way.

And yes, Echoes and Days are perfect tracks. It took me some time to appreciate them completely though. I think both track became alive on the Pompeii concert, which I owned before Meddle. I still prefer the live versions, but that might be due to the excellent film material.

Conclusion. Essential prog-listening. Don't skip on the song material of the album though. I give it four stars, the five star potential of it's two main tracks will be reached on the Pompeii dvd.

friso | 4/5 |