Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here CD (album) cover

WISH YOU WERE HERE

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

friso
3 stars Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (1975)

Who makes the album, the artist or the equipment?

I think that in this case the record is mainly liked because of its splendid production and gentle key-sounds, drums and dreamy guitars. It wins on all fronts of all the other prog albums made before this one when comparing the overall sound of the album. BUT.. did Pink Floyd themselves make a great record? No, I think they didn't. If you are already in an emotional mood quit reading right now, because this will make a lot of people furious or sentimental.

The first thing I've got to cope with is the extremely boring opening section of Shine on you Crazy Diamond part one. Great symphonic key presets, great guitar amplification, but a total lack of interesting composition or progressive thinking. The following main guitar part is nice, but one simple guitar chord doesn't fill up minutes of music for me. When the vocal melodies appear the tracks become quite nice, but to poppy for me. The main melody is fine though.

Welcome to the machine and Have a cigar are both tracks that must have been written in the studio using all the perfect equipment. Pink Floyd completely looses itself in the sounds of the keys and does nothing interesting at all on the composional side of the tracks. Just simple chord changes with massive amplification and a no-risk guitar approach of Gilmour. This doesn't satisfy me at all, quit hiding Pink Floyd! As if I wan't tormented enough the down tempo country classic Wish you were here. I'm not even going to discuss this pop-song. On part two f Shine on You Crazy Diamond Pink Floyd succeeds in trying to get to their old level of compositions. It's better then part one.

Conclusion. The production of the album is perfect, what did I say? Angelic! The compositions are very simple and Pink Floyd completely lost itself in it's amazing sound. For this I can't really see this as a progressive album, it just sounds progressive. Maybe my musical training did no good in liking this album, but I do want to be honest about who limited this album actually is, beneath it's cover of sounds and emotionally driven themes. Three stars for this one.

friso | 3/5 |